Low pass internal medicine - Can I still match at an academic program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davezhan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. This is a repost - posted in the wrong forum originally.

Long story short - 3rd year who was afraid of doing poorly on IM rotation and became reality on my evals. Do I have a chance to match into an academic program somewhere and if so, where?

I've so far passed all of my 3 core rotations so far with this one being a low pass (<5-10% in my school get this grade, <1% get a marginal pass so this isn't the absolute lowest grade but is pretty much there). I originally wanted to match into an internal medicine academic program but now it looks like there's very little chance. Interns/residents, please confirm or allay my fears. Step 1 was only slightly above average at 240. Bottom quartile in first 2 years. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately there are a ton of factors that goes into this.

First of all, are you IMG or AMG? MD or DO? Your step 1 is fine if you are AMG.

Your numbers and grades have to be taken in context of the quality of medical school you are at, Step 1 AND Step 2 (you will need to take Step 2 and rock it before submitting ERAS because you will need to maximize every positive on your app you can), the rest of your rotations, and probably most important to making up for this, your subI.

If you do well in all your other rotations and have really good grades from one or 2 subIs in time for ERAS, some really good IM LORs, and a good story for why your 3rd clinical rotation was not so hot, sure you could go to an academic institution.

But what does that mean to you? Hopkins or University of Oklahoma? Both are academic, so the question is why do you want an academic program? Fellowship?

Without knowing more, just based on what little you have told me, yes you may still go to an academic institution, no I don't think it will be top tier. That doesn't really narrow it down for you but there you go.

The last bit I'll add, which may be falsely reassuring but hopefully reassuring nonetheless, is that IM as a 3rd rotation your 3rd year is a little bit early in the game, and "medicine is the foundation of medicine," and a 3rd year on their 3rd rotation doesn't have much of a foundation to speak of. It's understood that some people will flounder in IM at that point who otherwise would have done well had they taken it later. Now, of course being green is true for all your peers who took it as a 3rd rotation yet were graded higher relative to you. The curve is different earlier in the year but hopefully the same for the whole cohort. So, it will be up to you to show improvement over the year and to do so well in your subI to demonstrate that this low pass isn't a sign you aren't well suited to IM but just that it was a hiccup cause you were green at the time.

To be safe, it is very easy to build an application that can go either FM or IM with little tweaking. If you are really clever you can also set up psychiatry as a back up plan. I'm not saying it's hopeless and give up, I tell everyone to be a complete paranoid schizophrenic man-eating shark when it comes to the match.

TLDR
hard to say
rock step 2
rock your the rest of your core rotations
get great IM LORs and mentors
rock your subI, some people can get 2 in before submitting ERAS
a case report or publication or research couldn't hurt but focus on the above
apply VERY broadly, apply to many community programs, safeties, you can include academic but be sure to have plenty of the lowest tier in addition to your fantasy programs
the best advising will be from a good advisor that knows your entire application, see if that exists at your institution and if not come back here we'll figure it out

Hey guys. This is a repost - posted in the wrong forum originally.

Long story short - 3rd year who was afraid of doing poorly on IM rotation and became reality on my evals. Do I have a chance to match into an academic program somewhere and if so, where?

I've so far passed all of my 3 core rotations so far with this one being a low pass (<5-10% in my school get this grade, <1% get a marginal pass so this isn't the absolute lowest grade but is pretty much there). I originally wanted to match into an internal medicine academic program but now it looks like there's very little chance. Interns/residents, please confirm or allay my fears. Step 1 was only slightly above average at 240. Bottom quartile in first 2 years. Thanks!

Agree with above poster. Your stats are okay otherwise for an AMG - might be difficult to match the "top" programs but you would still likely be within reasonably competitive for a number of mid tier academic residencies. There are also some community residencies which are pretty good as a result of academic affiliation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately there are a ton of factors that goes into this.

First of all, are you IMG or AMG? MD or DO? Your step 1 is fine if you are AMG.

Your numbers and grades have to be taken in context of the quality of medical school you are at, Step 1 AND Step 2 (you will need to take Step 2 and rock it before submitting ERAS because you will need to maximize every positive on your app you can), the rest of your rotations, and probably most important to making up for this, your subI.

If you do well in all your other rotations and have really good grades from one or 2 subIs in time for ERAS, some really good IM LORs, and a good story for why your 3rd clinical rotation was not so hot, sure you could go to an academic institution.

But what does that mean to you? Hopkins or University of Oklahoma? Both are academic, so the question is why do you want an academic program? Fellowship?

Without knowing more, just based on what little you have told me, yes you may still go to an academic institution, no I don't think it will be top tier. That doesn't really narrow it down for you but there you go.

The last bit I'll add, which may be falsely reassuring but hopefully reassuring nonetheless, is that IM as a 3rd rotation your 3rd year is a little bit early in the game, and "medicine is the foundation of medicine," and a 3rd year on their 3rd rotation doesn't have much of a foundation to speak of. It's understood that some people will flounder in IM at that point who otherwise would have done well had they taken it later. Now, of course being green is true for all your peers who took it as a 3rd rotation yet were graded higher relative to you. The curve is different earlier in the year but hopefully the same for the whole cohort. So, it will be up to you to show improvement over the year and to do so well in your subI to demonstrate that this low pass isn't a sign you aren't well suited to IM but just that it was a hiccup cause you were green at the time.

To be safe, it is very easy to build an application that can go either FM or IM with little tweaking. If you are really clever you can also set up psychiatry as a back up plan. I'm not saying it's hopeless and give up, I tell everyone to be a complete paranoid schizophrenic man-eating shark when it comes to the match.

TLDR
hard to say
rock step 2
rock your the rest of your core rotations
get great IM LORs and mentors
rock your subI, some people can get 2 in before submitting ERAS
a case report or publication or research couldn't hurt but focus on the above
apply VERY broadly, apply to many community programs, safeties, you can include academic but be sure to have plenty of the lowest tier in addition to your fantasy programs
the best advising will be from a good advisor that knows your entire application, see if that exists at your institution and if not come back here we'll figure it out

Thanks for the response! I am at a top 30 US (MD) medical school. 1/3 of the class matches into surgery every year. Half go into primary care and the other 1/6 go into other subspecialties. I am hoping to go to a mid-tier academic institution. I know that top tier is out of reach because of too many deficiencies. I really don't want to go to a very low tier university but at the end of the day beggars can't be choosers so I'll take what I can get when it comes down to it. Thanks for the tip about advisors. I will definitely have to look into that.

I will not be applying to community programs for personal reasons. Does it help that I do research and have 2 first author publications?

Thanks for the response! I am at a top 30 US (MD) medical school. 1/3 of the class matches into surgery every year. Half go into primary care and the other 1/6 go into other subspecialties. I am hoping to go to a mid-tier academic institution. I know that top tier is out of reach because of too many deficiencies. I really don't want to go to a very low tier university but at the end of the day beggars can't be choosers so I'll take what I can get when it comes down to it. Thanks for the tip about advisors. I will definitely have to look into that.

I will not be applying to community programs for personal reasons. Does it help that I do research and have 2 first author publications?
>Top 30
>implying anything outside of the Top 20 matters

Good luck on your future rotations. You should be fine to match a university program somewhere if you get strong letters and do well from here on out.

First of all, I answered the questions about research and publications in my post

Second, I'm going to go ahead and be a jerk here to drive home a point.

What "personal" reason can there be to purposefully exclude community programs when trying to match into a specialty for which you have red flags or questionable competitiveness?

I won't give you a hard time if you respond, "I would rather go unmatched than match to a community program."

otherwise I can't imagine what is going on here

Can't afford the application fee?
Are so geographically limited to exclude community programs? Wait, that makes no sense as academic institutions are more spread out
Are so set on the subspecialty fellowship that one hopes to arise from an academic institution in lieu of the specialty itself that they would rather go unmatched? It's a little cart before the horse.

I see people sneer at community programs because they are set on a research career, a prestigious academic appointment, or competitive fellowship
And while a community program is not ideal beginning to such aspirations, an even worse beginning is NOT MATCHING

Yes, not applying to a community program means you can't match to a community program. That seems good. Except wait a minute, that does not ergo increase your chances of matching to an academic institution. All it means is you can't match to a community program that would have taken you when your more desired places fell through.

Also, keep in mind that academic is not strictly always better than a community program depending on which ones you're comparing, and that can be true even for fellowship placement.

In a nutshell why people don't match:
1) app wasn't competitive to begin with
2) red flags in otherwise reasonable app
3) goon at interview
4) bad app strategy: didn't apply broadly or safely enough, usually out of ignorance or pride
5) sheer dumb luck maybe?

What you are telling me smacks of intent to commit match sin #4, and not out of ignorance since you've been warned

Every year there are multiple people who had an otherwise reasonable app, that thought they had an OK strategy & enough places, that is dismayed at the number of interview invites they get

What always shakes out is this:
they didn't apply to enough places, and they didn't have enough safeties including community programs

And when they have made this mistake and don't have enough interview offers? you know what can be done for them?
JACK ****ing squat is what.
nothing. they can send out pity emails that probably do more to annoy programs than get then more invites

Now, what becomes of these people?
They have to lie in that bed they made and some despite the harrowing numbers match just fine

OTHERS DON'T MATCH.

I won't outline here why not matching is the worst possible thing that could ever happen to you professionally, or what the soap can mean for you

I would also point out, that all MD AMGs are graduating from academic institutions
yet of the IM residency spots about 1/3 of the spots are at academic institutions, and 2/3 at community programs.
granted, a lot of IMGs factor in here somewhere
but the moral of the story is, while every MD AMG comes from an academic institution, they don't all go to an academic institution, and that's not just self-selection at work, some people from academic institutions go to community programs when they would have preferred academic

high school --> college --> med school all feels like a moving up game, but med school ---> residency is usually a bit of moving down game for most, and by moving down I just mean that not all medicine is practiced in an academic setting. you can cram all the med students together but the residents have to be spread out to some extent.

you're at a top 30, you're a rockstar, you're a special snowflake, community programs are not even worth your consideration, you have a great personal reason I don't appreciate cuz I'm busy being a jerk, fine,

this post is meant to fight against any and all knee-jerk responses that anyone may have about applying to community programs

my personal crusade is that every single applicant that comes to SDN with match worries will say, "Yes, I have considered community programs and will likely apply to a few" because considering what role community programs might have in a student's ERAS app is just good blanket match strategy for anyone, I don't care your school or personal reasons

TLDR:
kids, someone's gotta end up at these programs
I don't care who you are, you need to consider them and not dismiss them out of hand
nothing is more important than matching

Reactions: 2 users
One thing that hasn't been mentioned are your comments. If your IM comments are negative then that is a HUGE problem and you should definitely apply to (many) community programs because you're at risk for not matching otherwise.

If that isn't the case, you do well on your subI and above average on step 2 then I think you're still in the running for an academic program as long as you apply broadly and are willing to go anywhere geographically.

I'm not sure what your definition of the tiers is but in my mind you shouldn't even bother applying to "top tier" places, pick a bunch of mid tier places as reaches and then focus on low tier places if your goal above all else is an academic program.

On a side note: @Crayola227, your advice is solid but you really should cut these monstrous posts in half!

Reactions: 1 users
My IM comments are not negative. There is just not anything remarkable about them. In regards to community programs, I would be happy to match there and it sounds like I'll do fine if I am not picky about community vs academic programs. I do, however, want to know if I have a decent chance at academic programs...

My IM comments are not negative. There is just not anything remarkable about them. In regards to community programs, I would be happy to match there and it sounds like I'll do fine if I am not picky about community vs academic programs. I do, however, want to know if I have a decent chance at academic programs...

Like Tornado said,

if there aren't bad things being said about you that are going to be read in your ERAS, and you are otherwise average, no more red flags, coming from a Top 30 this low pass in IM won't hold you back from matching academic neccesarily if you are strategic in applying and do well in your subI, get good LORs.

you can overcome it and prove you're suited for IM
hope is not lost by a long shot you did well in step 1 and this is your 3rd rotation