Low pass rate on CPJE. Is it harder than NAPLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yub

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the CPJE that much harder than the NAPLEX?

The failure rate on the CPJE is like 20-24% from year to year: http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/about/pass_rates.shtml

Do they curve it? The failure rate is consistently the same from one year to another.

Members don't see this ad.

supposedly it is not "curve" but how do they determine what exam is "easy" and "hard" then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I kinda think people taking the exam from other states contributes to the low pass rate. The exam is not that bad at all. In other states their law exam is all LAW, they study that then take the exam. If you take this exam while studying for NAPLEX it is much easier.

I failed the exam twice. The test asked a question on diagnosis. You seriously think a Rph could diagnose something? I couldn't even pick "refer patient to physician"
A lot of bogus questions on QA, and a Rph's implementation on QA. It really is the most random test because the questions throw you off "why would they even be asking me this question in the first place"

California BOP: Turds

In my opinion as an out of state student who just passed the CPJE I wouldn't say the exam is harder I would say that the CPJE is more difficult in the sense either you know it or you don't and it is very detailed in comparison to the Naplex.

The Pass rate for the CPJE from October 2013 - March 2014 was 74% ! This break downs for California schools it was 81.3% and Other US schools was 72.5%. (I got these numbers from CABOP website) Overall the exam isn't necessarily harder its just the NAPLEX is originally 185 questions and they throw out 35 of those you only need like 60% of the questions right so you can miss almost 80 questions and still pass the NAPLEX, yes I know its weighted but essentially you can miss a whole lot. Score range 75-150.

The CPJE is only out of 90 questions and they throw out 15, so even with the "hard exam" "easy exam" curve, you still can only miss like 18 questions and pass. Score range 75-99.

So the odds of passing are greatly in your favor for the NAPLEX and less so for the CPJE. Also I felt the NAPLEX was much more tough and the CPJE is much more straight forward. I think what happens is people are caught off guard with a LAW exam being 70-80%% therapeutics (50% is like retail stuff, how supplied patient counseling tips) 10% hospital stuff (safety goals, IV compatibility etc) and only like 10-20% LAW. I think that is what contributes to the low passing rate. The law exam pass rate in other states is almost comparable to the NAPLEX which the NAPLEX is 95% and most law exams being 90-95% passing rate. The wide range of variability of questions and the much more narrow passing score index is why its harder.