Low PAT, does it matter that much??? for a retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TonChan23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SDNers, I took the DAT earlier today and ever since then have not been happy with my scores. I wouldn't exactly say that I'm disappointed just more scared and uncertain because of my PAT score. I have already posted a breakdown earlier so you can go see that if you want.
I got an AA of 21 and TS of 20 with a RC of 23 but a PAT of 17. I have been seriously debating whether I should retake but searching around the forum, the overwhelming majority is against retakes. And as a reference both my cumulative and sGPA are 3.7

Also, some say PAT is more important than the RC and others vice versa.

What's your 2 cents on this??? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Generally if you look at the official documents about trends and important of each section,
you'll find that PAT and QR are less important than TS and RC.

For a more school-specific ranking of each section you should refer to this post by doc toothache: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=657139

BTW, your GPA and DAT are great.. you got nothing to worry about in that aspect. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My goal is to get a 17 on PAT, lol.

I have two weeks left.

I'm almost 100% positive you can get at least a 17. Just make sure to go over a bunch of practice tests for PAT especially Bootcamp ones where the line counting method doesn't work for TFE. Actually try to visualize the object. As for angle ranking, Bootcamp has an angle generator that gives you 40 to practice and it's real good. Good luck! Study hard and smart and take breaks when you need to! Remember to just relax! :)

I'm almost 100% positive you can get at least a 17. Just make sure to go over a bunch of practice tests for PAT especially Bootcamp ones where the line counting method doesn't work for TFE. Actually try to visualize the object. As for angle ranking, Bootcamp has an angle generator that gives you 40 to practice and it's real good. Good luck! Study hard and smart and take breaks when you need to! Remember to just relax! :)

How long did you study for?

Definitely no retake. I think you are good. I have the same issue too, (PAT 17, the rest around 20+) but decided to take a chance. I am applying this year and got a couple secondary apps and one interview so far.

For me, I used Crack the DAT PAT to study and some Kaplan strategy. It helps, but the main thing that got me was nerves and time. Remember to move on. Don't ever get stuck.

Generally if you look at the official documents about trends and important of each section,
you'll find that PAT and QR are less important than TS and RC.

For a more school-specific ranking of each section you should refer to this post by doc toothache: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=657139

BTW, your GPA and DAT are great.. you got nothing to worry about in that aspect. :)

I second this. My sister who's also in dental school got 21AA and 18PAT and had to retake. For some schools they don't mind but the school that she's in right now (UOP) required her to get 20+ on it. NOT TO SCARE YOU but be sure you check with the schools. Other than that your scores + GPA combo look outstanding :)