Low PAT, WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencegirl1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.56
Science GPA: 3.45
DAT score: 22 AA (24 GC, 16 OC, 21 Bio, 21 QR, 26 RC, 15 PAT)
State of Residence: PA
Completing SMP

Major: Biology
Minor: Neuroscience, Chemistry
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 200 General, 100 OMFS, was going to work as a dental assistant this summer and gain more shadowing but COVID
Volunteering Experience: 400+ Hours, Service Fraternity that volunteered all over the community, pre-health organization that volunteered in the community as well, TA'd for four classes
Employment: Worked as a dental assistant during one summer, math tutor for 3 years, Reserach assistant for last 2.5 years in neurobiology lab
Other Extracurriculars: Dean's list, Pre-Dental Club, Service Fraternity, Vice President of Pre-health Organization

Schools: Pitt, LECOM, Temple, Michigan, U-Penn (Stretch I know), Tufts, VCU, NYU, OSU, Uconn, Marquette, Rutgers, Stonybrook

with my PAT are my chances gone or very low? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Completing SMP

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No

Shadowing Experience: 200 General, 100 OMFS, was going to work as a dental assistant this summer and gain more shadowing but COVID
Volunteering Experience: 400+ Hours, Service Fraternity that volunteered all over the community, pre-health organization that volunteered in the community as well, TA'd for four classes
Employment: Worked as a dental assistant during one summer, math tutor for 3 years, Reserach assistant for last 2.5 years in neurobiology lab
Other Extracurriculars: Dean's list, Pre-Dental Club, Service Fraternity, Vice President of Pre-health Organization

Schools: Pitt, LECOM, Temple, Michigan, U-Penn (Stretch I know), Tufts, VCU, NYU, OSU, Uconn, Marquette, Rutgers, Stonybrook

It's not only your PAT that's concerning, it's your OC as well. I think a retake would've been more beneficial. Your school list looks reasonable but I don't know if you'd be auto-screened or flagged due to the two low scores you have.

Reactions: 1 users
I also think you should explore a retake. A 15 in the PAT will likely be below cutoff for many schools and a 16 in OC is also a concern. Some schools will look past one lower score if all the other scores are excellent, but with two scores below 17, a retake is likely the right strategy. I would recommend DAT bootcamp for Orgo, they do a great job reviewing the key reactions and concepts, as well as hitting on the major lab techniques that you could see on the DAT. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I will have to agree: that 15 PAT is not going to please most admissions committee reviewers and faculty that I know of, and places you well below the middle 50% of all applicants. Always shoot for 20's across the board, and the 15 is clearly too far from that.

Completing SMP

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No

please separate your undergrad gpa and SMP gpa...

Completing SMP

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No

I’m a D1 at stony. You won’t be able to get into stony unless you retake, they want to see above 17 in all subsections. sorry

Reactions: 1 user