Low previous degree GPA. Do I still have a shot at MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eskibot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have posted something similar in the general thread, but I feel like I might get more inputs if I broke my GPA down by semester.

I already have a degree in Civil Engineering, but my GPA for that was only a 3.37.
2.97 Fall12
3.18 Spring13
3.28 Fall13
3.43 Spring 14
3.33 Fall 14
3.36 Spring 15
3.24 Fall 15
3.82 Spring 16

This puts me at a 3.37 with 140 credits

I just finished my first semester of taking the pre-reqs for MCAT/Medical School finished last week. I got a 4.0 but it was only 12 credits.

If I am just taking what will be covered under the MCAT, I have 35 credits left. If I calculated correctly, even if I did ace everything from here on out, my best case scenario GPA will be 3.526

Should I just accept the fact that my grades are not good enough for an MD school?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't be so negative in regards to your GPA as you aren't too far off from the Average GPA for Allopathic medical schools which is a 3.6 for some and for others it is a 3.5, I would instead focus on the other parts of your applications such as shadowing, research, etc. Also make sure that you study for the MCAT and do your absolute best without cutting corners or allowing yourself to give into the I am too tired mantra and you should have a shot at plenty medical schools both in your state of Virginia and in neighboring states. Medical school admissions isn't all about GPA it is about the complete package.

I wouldn't be so negative in regards to your GPA as you aren't too far off from the Average GPA for Allopathic medical schools which is a 3.6 for some and for others it is a 3.5, I would instead focus on the other parts of your applications such as shadowing, research, etc. Also make sure that you study for the MCAT and do your absolute best without cutting corners or allowing yourself to give into the I am too tired mantra and you should have a shot at plenty medical schools both in your state of Virginia and in neighboring states. Medical school admissions isn't all about GPA it is about the complete package.

I was lucky enough to have been in contact with a family physician, an infectious disease doctor, a neurosurgeon, and a transplant surgeon, but the only reason why they allowed me to shadow them was because we graduated from the same undergrad.

How would I go about getting shadowing opportunities with doctors in different fields? Is it as easy as making phone calls or emailing and just wait for one to say yes?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say the best place to start would be your local hospitals and if that doesn't work there maybe options through your university for shadowing as a great deal of schools have formal shadowing programs. Seeing as you have shadowed 4 different physicians of different specialities and have at least 100 hours or something close then I wouldn't worry about getting more shadowing. I would work on the other parts of your medical school application such as clinical work experience, research or finding something of interest. Helping underserved communities is a great idea since you can always volunteer for a hospital with a high underserved community population. Most hospitals are willing to take on volunteers without any problem, just check their website. Also make sure that you are building a good relationship with your science professors for letters of recommendation.

Also, I just re-read your GPA at a 3.3 and 35 credits left bust your ass and get "A's" in you classes and you can have a really healthy GPA. Make sure that you use office hours, tutoring services if they are offered and if not make sure that you study the material until you understand it. Medical school applications are hard and complex but if you put in the work now and land an acceptance then you have won that part of the game as it only takes one acceptance. Also it is your undergraduate GPA that maters not so much your graduate since it isn't science based.

I would say the best place to start would be your local hospitals and if that doesn't work there maybe options through your university for shadowing as a great deal of schools have formal shadowing programs. Seeing as you have shadowed 4 different physicians of different specialities and have at least 100 hours or something close then I wouldn't worry about getting more shadowing. I would work on the other parts of your medical school application such as clinical work experience, research or finding something of interest. Helping underserved communities is a great idea since you can always volunteer for a hospital with a high underserved community population. Most hospitals are willing to take on volunteers without any problem, just check their website. Also make sure that you are building a good relationship with your science professors for letters of recommendation.

Would volunteering as a coach for kids sport teams be a display of alteuism? Does it HAVE to be in underprivileged areas?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It doesn't have to be underserved communities but that looks better than just being a coach for a kids sports team but do what you want, I was just giving advice. I worked with homeless veterans and helping them navigate the Veteran Administration service and helping them find housing, jobs and if needed mental health and substance abuse help. My advice is do something that you care about, if you don't care about underserved groups then don't work with them. Medical schools want to see commitment to serving and helping people, also make sure that you get some leadership experience in even outside of clinical.

It doesn't have to be underserved communities but that looks better than just being a coach for a kids sports team but do what you want, I was just giving advice. I worked with homeless veterans and helping them navigate the Veteran Administration service and helping them find housing, jobs and if needed mental health and substance abuse help. My advice is do something that you care about, if you don't care about underserved groups then don't work with them. Medical schools want to see commitment to serving and helping people, also make sure that you get some leadership experience in even outside of clinical.

Ok cool. Thanks! I really appreciate the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No problem at all, I am just telling you what I have gathered from not only research but talking to physicians and people on medical school admission committees.