low Qbank scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemical X

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started studying about a week ago when my school got out, and I take step 1 June 18. I am a little worried about my Qbank scores, although I know everyone says not to use them to gauge performance. So far I have covered biochem, micro, behavioral sciences, and immunology, and am starting my organ systems review. My school administered the CBSE in late March (~2 months before the end of classes, and before I had done any step 1 studying) and my score was ~165.

I started using Qbank in early May before I began reviewing and my scores were usually in the low 40's. Now when I do random 50 question blocks, my average is in the 50's, but even when I do subject-specific sets for the things I have reviewed my scores are only in the 60's. Also, there is a lot of variation in my random Qbank scores--from low 40's one day to high 60's the next. I review all the explanations and try to focus on using it as a learning tool, but it's hard not to feel demoralized when the scores don't seem to be improving consistently.

Judging from the medfriends step 1 score estimator, I will need to be getting average Qbank scores of 65% or so to be near the mean (I am just hoping to get the mean or better, not aiming for a 240 or anything). With three weeks of studying left, is that realistic? I plan on taking some of the NBME tests in the week and a half before I take the real thing, so I don't want to use those yet. I know a lot of people on here want >240 and would probably be ready to shoot themselves with my Qbank scores, but given my expectations should I be worried?

Members don't see this ad.

I just started studying about a week ago when my school got out, and I take step 1 June 18. I am a little worried about my Qbank scores, although I know everyone says not to use them to gauge performance. So far I have covered biochem, micro, behavioral sciences, and immunology, and am starting my organ systems review. My school administered the CBSE in late March (~2 months before the end of classes, and before I had done any step 1 studying) and my score was ~165.

I started using Qbank in early May before I began reviewing and my scores were usually in the low 40's. Now when I do random 50 question blocks, my average is in the 50's, but even when I do subject-specific sets for the things I have reviewed my scores are only in the 60's. Also, there is a lot of variation in my random Qbank scores--from low 40's one day to high 60's the next. I review all the explanations and try to focus on using it as a learning tool, but it's hard not to feel demoralized when the scores don't seem to be improving consistently.

Judging from the medfriends step 1 score estimator, I will need to be getting average Qbank scores of 65% or so to be near the mean (I am just hoping to get the mean or better, not aiming for a 240 or anything). With three weeks of studying left, is that realistic? I plan on taking some of the NBME tests in the week and a half before I take the real thing, so I don't want to use those yet. I know a lot of people on here want >240 and would probably be ready to shoot themselves with my Qbank scores, but given my expectations should I be worried?

Put it this way. It would seem that the avg. Qbank user is consistently between 60-62% for most 50 question blocks Ive done. According to this Step 1 Score estimator, the avg Qbank user would receive a 200 on the boards (on a good day, no less). Since the national mean is around 218, I would say that Qbank grossly underestimates your score. I wouldnt put a whole lot of stock into it. Do NBME exams.

Trust in your predicted scores from NBMEs and not Qbank, NBME questions and predicted scores are much closer to the real thing than Qbank's are. Good luck for tomorrow! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
thats good to hear, i am sort of in the same boat.

it is incredibly frustrating to say the least

I'm in exactly the same boat. I take it the 12th, and my scores are in the 50's on random blocks and 60's for topic-specific. I've taking the 150 questions from the USMLE website, and gotten scores in the high 70's. Apparently those questions are too easy, but they correlate with something like a 220. Also, I gave up on Kaplan and did USMLE world, and the questions are much more reasonable. I wouldn't be worried if I were you. I'm taking an NBME this weekend, and I'll go from there. I'd recommend a similar strategy.

oh, and i also have "low" expectations (at least compared to other sdn'ers).