Low Quality Optics in Binocular Loupes May Cause Damage to Eyes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juel45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed an interesting news item on Yahoo news today
It talks about the effect of low quality optics in loupes on our eyes.
I know we as students are generally on budget. If this is true then we need to be cautions while selecting loupe for our practice.
You can read the full article here
http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20091102/bs_prweb/prweb3146844_1

What is the community opinion or experience on the subject?

please share

Members don't see this ad.

thats why i went with Heine. they may be a fraction heavier than orascoptic for example...but the clarity to even a layman is quite paramount.

thats why i went with Heine. they may be a fraction heavier than orascoptic for example...but the clarity to even a layman is quite paramount.

Does Heine offer a TTL loupe, because the only model I seem to see is the Heine HR Binocular loupe and it seems like it's a flip.

And don't get me started on the C 2.3 Binocular loupe... :wtf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes Heine is a good loupe. But I went for STAC loupe as the clarity of image is comparable to heine and price is only half.
STAC also offers TTL although I went for flip up

yea, Heine only makes a flip up, but i like that about them. i have put on many ttl glasses and have found that my field view is very comparable that of my flip ups - but with the higher lens quality i have great clarity and light transmission does not diminish nearly as much as with other "sub par" loupes. sure this is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but i know the biggest thing i have learned when researching about loupes is that companies will make up in weight by having a lower quality lens material.

i also love the rudy project frames as they fit very similar to my Native sunglasses and are really light weight. if you're a cyclist or a skier you know what i'm talking about! :D

Do you have the front light that comes with it?

Also, do they ship everything in a little case like orascoptic does?

Do you have the front light that comes with it?

Also, do they ship everything in a little case like orascoptic does?

Yes I purchased LED light also from them which snaps on to loupe. very light weight. the product name is stac power. And yes every thing comes in a small case.

comes in case. did not order the Heine light. i will be getting the Ultralight Optics light here pretty soon as we're getting a pretty good group deal here at school.

http://www.ultralightoptics.com/photos/Heine.JPG

I happen to be in Buffalo dental show last week. I visited both STAC and ultralight booths and got a chance to compare both lights.

They both feel good as both are light weight.
Spot size for STAC light is larger and cover entire mouth as compare to ultralight which covers only half mouth.
Light intensity was much higher in case of stac.
STAC was also offering 18 hours battery pack. And I bought my STAC light there.:)
You can find more details about STAC light here
http://stacvision.com/stacproducts/portableheadlights.html

yea, Heine only makes a flip up, but i like that about them. i have put on many ttl glasses and have found that my field view is very comparable that of my flip ups - but with the higher lens quality i have great clarity and light transmission does not diminish nearly as much as with other "sub par" loupes. sure this is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but i know the biggest thing i have learned when researching about loupes is that companies will make up in weight by having a lower quality lens material.

i also love the rudy project frames as they fit very similar to my Native sunglasses and are really light weight. if you're a cyclist or a skier you know what i'm talking about! :D

Long term, flip up lenses = moveable parts = more likely to have an equipment failure :eek: Same thing with rudy project frames - flexible frame = moveable parts = increase chance of breakage and/or variations in your intra pupillary distance which can cause eye fatigue, etc. :mad:

Loupes shouldn't be about style, they should be about long term day in/day out function, and there's a reason why you see the loupes of the majority of seasoned clinicians being "rigid framed" through the lense, because you get the dependable fit/performance they 8 hours a day 4 to 5 days a week, 48 weeks or so a year that your using them :D

On almost everything you can get a substantial discount or even free products if you call the vendor and tell them you are a student and want to try their product. Try this with a lesser known loupe company, instruments, supplies, burrs, etc. Almost everything can be negotiated as once you graduate you will be paying full price.

flip up or ttl I think is a personal preference.
The quality of optics in loupes should be the first consideration while purchasing a loupe as this may have direct bearing on our eyes.
Being more experienced, What do you think on this subject, Dr. Jeff?

flip up or ttl I think is a personal preference.
The quality of optics in loupes should be the first consideration while purchasing a loupe as this may have direct bearing on our eyes.
Being more experienced, What do you think on this subject, Dr. Jeff?

This should sum up my opinion on this topic.

I own 3 pairs of loupes. A flip up pair of 2.5x Heine's that I bought in d-school because they were the most competitively priced and hardly ever used because of their weight. I ended up preferring to just use regular, non magnified safety glasses for years rather than the Heine's

A pair of 2.5x TTL rigid framed orascoptic's that I use for most of my day to day work (and have used for the last 5+ years now)

And a recently purchased pair or 3.8x rigid framed orascoptics that I use for endo, most crown and bridge, and some select anterior esthetic direct composite cases.

As for quality of optics and its importance, I strongly feel that BOTH the quality of optics AND the comfort of the fit are essentially equal in importance. If the optics quality is great, but overall the loupes are uncomfortable while you're wearing them, then what's the point as your likely to start bending your neck/back in ways that can cause muscle issues/pain long term - hence why more than often clinicians don't use flip ups as no if's and's or but's about it, they're heavier than TTL's and cause more neck muscle issues. Secondly, if they fit great, but have optics issues - such as variations in the intrapupillary distance due to frame flexibility or an improper original fitting, then you're more than likely to have eye strain/fatigue which can lead to headaches, etc.

Bottomline, is when you put your loupes on, the less variables involved, and the closer they are to the weight of just a regular pair of eye glasses the better longterm performance you'll be getting everyday, which will allow you to function better, longer at your job.

Thanks Dr Jeff
You nicely covered it up.
I just want to add that
When I referred to low quality of optics, I really meant construction of the lenses itself and not just the adjustment of inter pupillary distance.
A good quality lens used in loupe gives a nice flat and clean image even from edges.
As I was explained by STAC rep ( the loupe which I bought), they use microscopic lenses in their loupes which are corrected from color and spherical distortion.
I saw the difference in image quality in their demo session.
AS they said, there should be edge to edge image clarity.
There is no denying that right working distance and comfort are important considerations to maintain right posture but I thought quality of optics as referred above should be first consideration.
Just expressing my opinion.

Thanks Dr Jeff
You nicely covered it up.
I just want to add that
When I referred to low quality of optics, I really meant construction of the lenses itself and not just the adjustment of inter pupillary distance.
A good quality lens used in loupe gives a nice flat and clean image even from edges.
As I was explained by STAC rep ( the loupe which I bought), they use microscopic lenses in their loupes which are corrected from color and spherical distortion.
I saw the difference in image quality in their demo session.
AS they said, there should be edge to edge image clarity.
There is no denying that right working distance and comfort are important considerations to maintain right posture but I thought quality of optics as referred above should be first consideration.
Just expressing my opinion.
Are you working for STAC man?

posted in two separate loupe threads, and never posted anything else before. i suspect a shill.....

No I am not

Just got pumped with lots of info at buffalo dental show.
May be I was over enthusiastic in sharing the same with community.

That's right and many low quality products can be harmful so we need to choose for the best and before buying we should make sure if it's high quality and safe before buying it. Don't think money because health is important.