low ranked private schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjones

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please list some private schools that are ranked lower than most. Or, better still, list schools that are 'easier' to get into for an out of stater. No Puerto schools, I don't know spanish. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

All US medical schools are LCME accredited and all will provide you with a solid medical education. If you're looking for some mid-range and lower-ranked private schools that accept a good number of out-of-state applicants, you might consider Finch, Medical College of Wisconsin (private school that accepts about 50% out of state), MCP Hahnemann, Creighton, Albany, Temple, Saint Louis, and Loyola, among others. Also, some state schools that take a fair number of out-of-staters include Vermont, Penn State, Medical College of Virginia, and Eastern Virginia. There are also a number of non-accredited off-shore schools popular - St. Georges, Ross, Saba, and others- but you should only consider the Caribbean route as an absolute last resort if you can't get into any U.S. school.

Just FYI, Penn State is a private institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by moo:
•Just FYI, Penn State is a private institution.•

Seriously? Are you sure you don't mean U. Penn, the Ivy League school?

Originally posted by moo:
•Just FYI, Penn State is a private institution.•

I second that, are you sure?

I mean their university name is "Pennsylvania State University"

STATE = not private? Just wondering....

Yeah, I was shocked to find out that Penn State was private too. But sure enough, it says so on their website and even in the MSAR.

Yeah, I was totally shocked to find out that PSU is a private, but it is. It said so in the MSAR and on their website.

http://www.psu.edu/ur/about/funding/funded.html

Read the above for more info on Penn State. The state of Pennsylvania does give SOME money to the school but it is NOT state-owned and operated. I guess that's why its medical school accepts about half of Penn residents and half out of staters.

OK, enough on Penn State already.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that they are all certified, that's all I need, I just want to get into medical school. I find it hard to understand why people are fussy with the credentials of a school and strive for the Ivy league stuff.... If I had the luxury of choice I would put much more emphasis on the location of the school.

I had considered Caribbean schools but decided A) it seems risky because if the US tighten residency spots your are screwed
B) because I am married and my wife would like to persue graduate education also (masters) and so Carb would not be so good for her.

I'm actually very excited about DO schools, haven't heard about them 'till recently up here in Canada. The city I live in only has 1 DO, but I've been in to see him work and his added knowledge looks helpful. Especially for FP, where lots of people come in with muscle-skeletal problems.

SLU certainly does, and it just goes to show you how little rankings can mean!