Low science gpa. Chances of getting into DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medabc11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a science gpa of 2.8. I majored in psychology as an undergrad and have a psych gpa of 3.9. Overall my gpa comes to about 3.35. I am in a psychology masters program right now and am doing very well with a gpa of 3.8. I have a good amount of experience in the psychology field and am thinking of going to med school (DO) for psychiatry. Do you think my chances of getting in are low? What would increase my chances of getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

Get your science over 3.0 or your app will get autoscreened and almost no one will read it

Members don't see this ad :)
I have already graduated from undergrad though. I plan have to take two classes as a prerequisite but they will be as a non-matriculating student so they won't count for a gpa. I don't know if that will help much, or if at all. Do you think DO schools will consider the fact that I have progressively done much better over time? My first two years of undergrad is when I took all the science courses, which resulted in the 2.88 gpa. In my last two years, I switched my major to psych and took all psych classes and did very well (3.9). I am doing very well in this psychology masters course also. I haven't taken the mcat yet so I'm wondering if I should take it soon or do I have little chance of getting in regardless of mcat score?

I have already graduated from undergrad though. I plan have to take two classes as a prerequisite but they will be as a non-matriculating student so they won't count for a gpa. I don't know if that will help much, or if at all. Do you think DO schools will consider the fact that I have progressively done much better over time? My first two years of undergrad is when I took all the science courses, which resulted in the 2.88 gpa. In my last two years, I switched my major to psych and took all psych classes and did very well (3.9). I am doing very well in this psychology masters course also. I haven't taken the mcat yet so I'm wondering if I should take it soon or do I have little chance of getting in regardless of mcat score?
the DO application service will calculate your cgpa and sgpa....every college course ever attempted will show up and for retakes they will only count the last one for gpa. What you need to understand is most schools will never even open your file if either number is below their cut off....and almost every single school has a cutoff of 3.0 or higher.

Do some retakes until your cpga and sgpa are over 3.0

That sGPA is lethal.

Retake every F/D/C science course and do better.

I have a science gpa of 2.8. I majored in psychology as an undergrad and have a psych gpa of 3.9. Overall my gpa comes to about 3.35. I am in a psychology masters program right now and am doing very well with a gpa of 3.8. I have a good amount of experience in the psychology field and am thinking of going to med school (DO) for psychiatry. Do you think my chances of getting in are low? What would increase my chances of getting in?

But you didn't progressively do better in science courses---you just changed majors and took classes that were academically easier for you. I mean, if I take out all of my science courses my cGPA for undergrad is 3.9ish.

Reactions: 1 user

Not to be a dick, but I think it would be a pretty poor decision to take the MCAT without doing even moderately well in your basic science courses.... let alone that those were taken years ago. Retake the "C and below classes" and that will help you study for the MCAT!

And then actually study for the MCAT. Classes alone don't cut it. If you don't you are asking for a world of hurt... aka score below 500.. And a retake