Low science GPA, decent overall GPA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cammoon23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second semester junior. The way this semester is going I'll be lucky to maintain a 3.0 sgpa. I have a 3.5 overall gpa. I'll be taking some courses over the summer at a CC (financial reasons) but its unlikely I'll be able to raise the sgpa anymore. I plan on applying to schools as soon as the application period starts. I have great shadowing and volunteering at the VA. No Gre yet. What can I do to offset my low sgpa, and what are my chances as of right now?

Members don't see this ad.

With a sgpa/pre req gpa below a 3.0, your chances are slim. Retake any prerequisite course below a B and do well in the gre ( at least 300 V & Q and 4 A) and you will most likely get into a program if you apply to schools that take the highest grade of a retake.

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty much this ^

Gotta get the sGPA or prereq GPA up. Some schools have a minimum cutoff from 3-3.2 so if you don't hit that range, you're gonna be automatically denied. Do research on schools that accept retakes over averaging and make sure you ace your CC classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you apply as early as possible. Strong LOR also help

There is a relatively small number of schools you will even be eligible to apply to if your pre-requisite GPA is <3.0...even at the ones that have a minimum cutoff lower than 3.0, essentially nobody gets in with a pre-req GPA <3.0....you will need to plan on retaking the pre-reqs you have done poorly in and get your pre-req GPA up to an acceptable number (3.2 at a bare minimum, but realistically more like 3.5+). Target your application to schools that take the higher of the retakes, rather than averaging. You will have to do your homework to find out what these schools are.

Calculate your GPA based on the pre-requisite courses the schools you wish to apply to require. Some look at science GPA, but most look at pre-req GPA.

If your pre-req GPA is <3.0 at the end of this summer, you should not plan on applying this coming cycle. You will probably be wasting your money.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree, your pre req GPA is what matters in your case. You can overcome some pretty bad cumulative GPAs, but the only way to really do that is have awesome pre req or science GPAs! Now, that said....let me clarify. Are you saying sGPA as in your pre req GPA? Or are you literally talking about that one calculation PTCAS does that is the sGPA? Not very many schools care about that one in particular.

Agree, your pre req GPA is what matters in your case. You can overcome some pretty bad cumulative GPAs, but the only way to really do that is have awesome pre req or science GPAs! Now, that said....let me clarify. Are you saying sGPA as in your pre req GPA? Or are you literally talking about that one calculation PTCAS does that is the sGPA? Not very many schools care about that one in particular.

I'm talking about purely science classes. So Bio and Physics. I am taking Chem 1 and 2 over the summer. The upper division bio classes are killing my GPA. I'm yet to get anything above a C in those. I probably should have waited but no point crying over spilled milk.

I plan on applying to NAU and other in state Arizona schools. In general my pre req GPA is probably closer to a 3.2, depending on the school.

Well you still have several classes that will improve your pre-req GPA quite a bit. Upper division bio classes are not going to factor into this GPA.

If you can't get better than a C in a bio class though, be prepared to work a lot harder than you are now come PT school. PT school is somewhat similar to bio classes in that it is a mix of a ton of wrote memorization as well as critical thinking and application of the material. But in undergrad it's coming at you at garden hose speed...in PT school it's fire hose speed.

I plan on applying to NAU

You better get that pre-req GPA quite a bit better than a 3.2 if you want a decent shot.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, this is just what reality it. I got roundly rejected from NAU with a 3.9 pre-req, 3.8 cGPA and 168V/158Q/5.0AW on the GRE...they do seem to place a lot of weight on interviews though. FYI, there is a lot of good info in this years NAU Application Thread, which should be lurking a page or so down in the pre-PT forum at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, do you know that you can make your "status" say "Pre-Physical Therapy"? Not sure why you are saying pre-med.

Thank you for the reply. I recalculated my prereq GPA (based on my target schools, AT Still, NITY, St.Aug, NAU (Not Science GPA) and I actually have a 3.3 pre req gpa, 3.49 cgpa, as of right now, current courses not pending. Again, I don't think it will rise/fall much in the next few months so that's pretty much where I stand. However if I retake a bio class that I got a C in, and get at an A (which should be no problem) it jumps from a 3.3 to a 3.4, because PTCAS would average it out to be a B (My school doesn't do + or -, which is a blessing or a curse depending on where you fall) Totally doable.

Also, do you know that you can make your "status" say "Pre-Physical Therapy"? Not sure why you are saying pre-med.

Because I didn't see pre physical therapy on the list and didn't feel like looking for it. I'm lazy.

I would plan to retake anything you have a C in (pre req wise). I think that's a good general rule of thumb. (I couldn't tell from your post if you have Cs in physics too).

Reactions: 2 users
I would plan to retake anything you have a C in (pre req wise). I think that's a good general rule of thumb. (I couldn't tell from your post if you have Cs in physics too).

The only prereq I have a C in is Bio 181. I have A's I the labs, and B's in every other pre req. Still have to take physics over the summer. Retaking 181, and getting an A raises my pre req to 3.49. I'm in decent shape, I think

While we're on the subject, what do schools think about upper division science classes? I'll have 3 (all bio) by next semester and I have a C, B, and an A. I won't be taking any more. Should I retake that C, or let it be and move on? My schedule is packed but I'm willing to retake if it will matter in the end.

^^^Probably depends how much that C is affecting your cGPA, but it won't affect it nearly as much as a C affects pre-req GPA. Schools don't mind seeing that you've done well in upper level science classes (especially if they have classes they call "recommended" but that aren't official pre-reqs). But the pre-reqs are the mission critical classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't retake it either, just make sure you have top grades in all your pre reqs.

hi,
so spring 2016 will be my last semester as a sophomore. so far ive taken bio 1, general chem 1, and 2.
i got a -C in bio, B+ in general chem 1, and a B in general chem 2. my overall science is a 2.77... and im starting to think maybe med school just isnt for me. im not that smart.
any advice???

hi,
so spring 2016 will be my last semester as a sophomore. so far ive taken bio 1, general chem 1, and 2.
i got a -C in bio, B+ in general chem 1, and a B in general chem 2. my overall science is a 2.77... and im starting to think maybe med school just isnt for me. im not that smart.
any advice???
Don't know if you accidentally wrote "med school" instead of PT school, but if your intentions are to medical school, I suggest you reach out to the pre-med forum.
But either way, you must be realistic with your grad school goals. Graduate programs are getting tougher and tougher to gain admissions to, and having a poor overall science GPA (or any sort of GPA) is not going to bode well with admission committees. Thankfully you're still young as a sophomore, so if you do extremely well now with academics, extra curriculars, and standardized tests, I'm sure you'll have a shot. Take a look at what your past grades are, and really ask yourself if you can handle the pressure of graduate school.