Low science GPA, Double Major Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doogie11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Masters, Post bacc program, or individual Post bacc?
Hey Everyone,
I have a question about my pre-med track so far and i'm hoping this forum can help. I will be graduating from UNC in december with a BA in Biology and History with a non science GPA in the area of 3.5 (history major GPA is about a 3.7-3.8) and a science GPA in the area of 2.5. My overall GPA is 3.0. I have all B's in the traditional science courses pertaining to medical school except for a C+ in general Chem II and Orgo I. I still have Orgo II,Physics I and II, and a stats class to complete my pre-reqs. I will have a considerable amount of extracurricular activities as it pertains to healthcare including some things overseas by the time i apply to medical school. My concern right not is finding the best way to show my ability to do well in the sciences, which i know i can. I seem to fall into a unique category as it pertains to post bacc programs. I have too much science courses for some and not all the pre-reqs for medical school for others. My plan was to take some science classes during the spring as a non-degree seeking student back home and then apply to a masters program. My third option is too take courses for medical school on my own and then apply for medical school. Basically, seeing my science GPA, what do you think would be the best option for me? Oo, i also was a varsity athlete in college (i dont know if that changes anything). Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

A "masters" degree that is not a Special Masters Program to enhance credentials for medical school, is going to be useless for you. You have major undergraduate GPA problems that a "masters" degree will not solve if medical school is your aim. A masters of public health or a masters in "anything" will not work for you to get you more competitive to enter medical school.

You are going to need to retake some of your coursework (post bacc) or enter a SMP (for grade enhancement if you can get into one of these programs).Many of the SMPs for grade enhance have pre-req requirements that you might not meed because of your undergraduate performance. There are a list of SMPs on the AAMC site under "postbaccalaureate" programs. Find one for people who need undergraduate GPA damage control and get yourself competitive for that program.

If you take any more coursework at the undergraduate level, you need "As" in that coursework. You need to start getting that uGPA up which is going to be a long and expensive process no matter which direction you head. If you are prepared to figure out why you did so poorly in your coursework, fix your problems and spend some long hours getting all "As", then you may be able to get yourself to a point where you could convince a medical school to accept you.

The osteopathic medical schools will substitute retakes at a higher grade for the previous low grade which makes getting competitive for osteopathic medical school admissions a bit shorter. Still, you need to perform at a high level which you have not been able to do so far. Allopathic medical schools average everything which is going to be quite problematic for you. Also realize that doing an outstanding job in an SMP is no "chip shot" for you either. You are hardly "unique" in having to do a significant amount of undergraduate GPA "damage-control" in order to get into medical school. Just be prepared to take your time, figure out why you have previously scored so low and correct your problems. Good luck!

Thanks for the infomation! I know what i did wrong in my studies during my undergrad years and i know i can turn it around. I was also looking at being a PA. Any advice on that path? How i see it, both paths are going to require me to do much better in the sciences, which i will.

Thanks for the infomation! I know what i did wrong in my studies during my undergrad years and i know i can turn it around. I was also looking at being a PA. Any advice on that path? How i see it, both paths are going to require me to do much better in the sciences, which i will.

If you want to be a PA, or are even considering it, you need to clock some major healthcare hours. Preferably paid patient contact hours. PA school is almost as competitive as Med schools. You need 2000 plus hours (about 2 years full time employment). Some schools say it is not required but suggested, so to be more competitive you will need hours, even at the schools that do not require it. I would suggest that you get a EMT, CNA, LPN PHLEB, PCT, ER Tech or some kind of direct patient contact, even if you are having to bath people and wipe butts, I would do it. When I was slanging whoppers at BK I knew that it was just a means to an end... and that it was only temporary. I worked as an ICU LPN for two years and before that I was a Combat Medic for the Army for 4 years. Most people I have met that are PA's have some similar experience before they got in to PA school.