MPH Low Science GPA dragging down overall GPA. Do I stand a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciderbun96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

So, I have a bit of GPA issue. I used to be pre-med, until I realized I just wasn't cut out for it...As a result, my poor grades in chemistry, bio, etc have dragged down my GPA. I'll be a senior and my current overall GPA is a 2.90. However, my non-science GPA is a 3.75, with a public health GPA of 3.90. GRE will probably be overall average with verbal being high average and quant not being pretty. I am concerned that my sub 3.0 GPA will be the giant elephant in the room despite my good public health related grades. I am taking a 5th year to buff up my grades and get more experience/internships.

I have interned with the State Dept of Public Health, am currently a palliative care volunteer at a local hospital, having worked in a research lab, was a resident advisor, etc.

Do I stand a chance?

Schools I am looking at:

Dartmouth, Brown, Brandeis, Yale, Tufts, Columbia, Cornell,

Trying to stay in the New England(ish) area. Any other suggestions? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll probably be fine if you can bump the overall GPA to >3.0 with those 5th year classes. If you look through past threads, you'll see stats really don't matter so much. Focus on fixing the GPA and doing the best you can on the quant section... really put the effort in to study, because that can make up for poor STEM grades a little bit.

I had no idea Brandeis and Cornell had MPH programs. Are they CEPH accredited? That's really important, and you can see the list of accredited schools here.

If you are interested in Epi or Biostat, take a look at UMass Amherst. If you are interested in Urban Health, Northeastern has a niche program for that. BU isn't on your list an is certainly a good school that is less selective than Yale, Columbia, and Brown. If you're willing to go to NYC, that opens your options up a bit-- NYU, SUNY, NYMC.

Thanks! Brandeis is Public Policy, but has a health policy concentration and Cornell just started their MPH program this year.