Low Science GPA?

wandernkind

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2008
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello everyone! I am not applying until next year but I thought I would play the "What are my chances" game and see if anyone saw any week spots I was missing (other than GPA). So here it goes.

Cum GPA: 3.55
    Science GPA: 3.35

I haven't taken the MCAT yet

I have one year clinical research in emergency medicine (no publications 200 hours) with a LOR for the Faculty sponsor at the teaching hospital. I've watched a lot of ER exams and procedures though being a researcher. I have 1 year months behavioral lab research (non-medical and 2 abstract co-author publications, 1 manuscript co-author publication and 1 program evaluation co-author publication) and a LOR from the PI faculty member. I have three years experience as a Sexual Assault Advocate, where I provided in-person(at the hospital or police office) and over the phone advocacy to survivors and family members (2000+ hours). 18 months of that was in a supervisor role where I supported the volunteers who were on the crisis line. I served as the vice president of the board of directors of a youth and family organization for one year after graduating from high school one year early. I don't work currently but I volunteer 30+ hours a week. My science LOR are. . . mediocre and still waiting to ask faculty for the last one. I will have a composite letter from my pre-med committee and expect to have at least all votes as "recommended". Please let me know what you think!! Oh, the catch. I am an Oregon resident and only applying to OHSU my first year (with a good reason why)

wandernkind

10+ Year Member
    May 24, 2008
    1. Pre-Pharmacy
      Your GPA is slightly below the average of 3.7. You have another year before you apply, so you will have time to work on it. Without knowing your MCAT, it will be somewhat difficult to predict your chances. Aim for a 32 on the MCAT. You obviously have some research, and being a co-author on a publication is great. Your ECs are excellent and will definitely be a great discussion in your interview(s). If you think that your science LOR will be less than outstanding, see if you can find someone else who can write you an excellent LOR.

Only applying to one medical school is very, very risky, even for the best of applicants. Unless you have a compelling reason (and you claim that you do) for only applying to one medical school, I would encourage you to add a few more schools, perhaps some schools that are near your location.

There is only one medical school in Oregon. My wife will be in her last year in a BSN program and we can not move out of state until she finishes. I know that one school is very risky and I am willing to take a year off if that's what it means. Also, I don't expect my GPA to raise any this year. That is what I will end up applying with.

About the Ads
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.