Low score and apply early vs Retest and apply later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kanelope

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was not too pleased with my score on the April 7th MCAT, 27N (I was scoring 30-33 on practice tests and felt prepared for the MCAT). The schools I am looking at have an average MCAT of 30-31. I have a good gpa (3.8) and have had some great volunteer experiences and research. Basically the MCAT is my low point.

So, should I retake in August and be behind in the application process or apply right away with my current score and pray? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I was not too pleased with my score on the April 7th MCAT, 27N (I was scoring 30-33 on practice tests and felt prepared for the MCAT). The schools I am looking at have an average MCAT of 30-31. I have a good gpa (3.8) and have had some great volunteer experiences and research. Basically the MCAT is my low point.

So, should I retake in August and be behind in the application process or apply right away with my current score and pray? Any suggestions?

27 is pushing it. If you want to maximize your chances and options, I would retake and aim for a 30.

That's not that low. I've had friends that have gotten interviews from all the schools in Texas with basically your same exact details. And besides, what's the harm in applying now, regardless of if you get in or not? Just retake the test and apply later if you don't.

Hi Kanelope,

27 is a little low for schools that average 30-31. But you never will know unless you try. Also you have a strong GPA 3.8.

Why not look at some schools that are like 28-29? I'm sure you'll find a program that are to your liking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat with my 28. I plan to retake in July.
Can't you just apply and update AMCAS and schools with a new score? I have heard of people who have done this. You still begin to receive and fill out secondaries, but medical schools will wait for your new score before they review your application. You're still behind in interviews but with a good GPA that's not a problem.

Thanks for all of your advice. I've heard that a lot of med schools will look soley at gpa and mcat scores to filter out applicants initially. Is this true? I have a great personal statement and letters of rec., so I really hope that they'd take this into account. Do you think I would even be considered for an interview?

Kanelope,

Yes it is true that some schools will "filter" just based on MCAT and GPA alone, but many schools do not. If you have the MSAR they list this information for many schools. Also some schools will say on their website whether they automatically send out a seconday or not.

Best of luck to you.