Low Score on Kaplan 2015 MCAT practice test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnmoore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi has anyone else scored really low on kaplan's practice test? Maybe I'm just really ****ty at all subjects but I have been studying and I can't get my score up and it's REALLY BAD!

If you have taken Kaplan's practice test and taken the actual 2015 MCAT how did your score compare?

Score:
Chem/Phys: 120 (7%)
CARS :121 (14%)
Bio/Biochem: 121 (14%)
Psych/Soc: 123 (32%)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It is well known that Kaplan's scores are deflated. You can take a quick glance at the google docs of users scores and see that there is anywhere from a 5-10 point difference from Kaplan scores to the real test. But if it is super low (and you've done all your content review and been studying for months etc) then it is likely content knowledge is truly lacking in some areas and you need to hit the books.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also don't know your background.

Your score is pretty bad, even for Kaplan. If this is a diagnostic after having been out of school for years then it is understandable, however.

But diagnostics are a pointless waste of time.

Anyway, it's obvious that you need to study more. So do so. Then come back after ~2 months and score way better. Also, you won't use Kaplan, since you'll be so much smarter in 2 months that it will just be automatic knowledge of yours that Kaplan is a waste of your time.

Hi has anyone else scored really low on kaplan's practice test? Maybe I'm just really ****ty at all subjects but I have been studying and I can't get my score up and it's REALLY BAD!

If you have taken Kaplan's practice test and taken the actual 2015 MCAT how did your score compare?

Score:

May I ask which practice test this was? Was it one of the 1/3 length Kaplan tests that have 20-21 questions per section, or was it a full/half length?

You shouldn't be doing any Full Lengths until after you've finished with content review.

Do practice passages. Don't jump straight into a Full Length.

You shouldn't be doing any Full Lengths until after you've finished with content review.

Do practice passages. Don't jump straight into a Full Length.
How long did you study? I guess I feel like I am studying harder than other people are but they are scoring way better. Also how do you study content? Just read and reread the books?

Score:

That is way too low. Stop taking FLs and hit the books like I said. You're clearly not retaining anything that you are "studying." You need to reevaluate your study habits and study schedule. When are you schedule to take? I dont know how well you can turn this score around in 1 month if you're scheduled for the end of September.

How long have you been studying?

I have been studying for a month about 8 hours a day. I am not good at studying though I alway seem to get overwhelmed by how much I need to learn. I have completed all the material for Kaplan higher score guarantee which consist of 5 practice test, hours of videos, and reading. I have my exam on Saturday. I know I'm am not ready but I have to take it or I will loss all of the money I spent on the kaplan course. I posted this question because I had hoped that maybe kaplan's scores were really off, but since they are not I have to figure out what to change to improve my score.

My background is I graduated in May with a BS in biology, and I am currently in a masters of physiology program.

That is way too low. Stop taking FLs and hit the books like I said. You're clearly not retaining anything that you are "studying." You need to reevaluate your study habits and study schedule. When are you schedule to take? I dont know how well you can turn this score around in 1 month if you're scheduled for the end of September.

Unfortunately I am scheduled for this Saturday :( I know its not going to go well but I have already rescheduled once and I have to take it for the kaplan higher score guarantee or I will loss my money.

I know I have to change my study habits, but I am not sure how. In college I have always rewrite things over and over, but my boyfriend who is currently in medical school keeps telling me that I have to change the way I study because in medical school I will not have time to learn by writing. He says that I need to learn to retain the information after seeing it once or twice. So I've been trying to read the books and think about what I just read, but the information only goes to short term memory not long term.

I am open for suggestions!

I have been studying for a month about 8 hours a day. I am not good at studying though I alway seem to get overwhelmed by how much I need to learn. I have completed all the material for Kaplan higher score guarantee which consist of 5 practice test, hours of videos, and reading. I have my exam on Saturday. I know I'm am not ready but I have to take it or I will loss all of the money I spent on the kaplan course. I posted this question because I had hoped that maybe kaplan's scores were really off, but since they are not I have to figure out what to change to improve my score.

My background is I graduated in May with a BS in biology, and I am currently in a masters of physiology program.

Give it another month. You may not be used to the material. Anything can happen with the MCAT. Just one data point is not always so accurate.

And don't get caught up in minutiae. That is an absolutely fantastic way to (again) waste your time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How have you performed on the other FLs (similar to the score you provided above?) Have you looked at any of the AAMC material?

I've been studying for the MCAT using only Kaplan (and the AAMC material). 1 month is definitely not enough, especially if you want to do a thorough review with their 7 books. I did content review for 2 months and their FLs for 2.5 weeks + review (total 8 practice exams, not including AAMC FL + OG).

My diagnostic score was ~485. I am now averaging close to 492 (+/-2) and I take the exam on Saturday. I realize my scores did not drastically improve (and therefore not the best person for advice), but it's POSSIBLE to improve in a month (if not, at least by January). Personally speaking, a lot of factors play a role in our performance on the exam: endurance, knowledge, critical thinking...etc.
Figure out where you're going wrong and pay closer attention to that part when studying/taking exams. GOOD LUCK!

How have you performed on the other FLs (similar to the score you provided above?) Have you looked at any of the AAMC material?

I've been studying for the MCAT using only Kaplan (and the AAMC material). 1 month is definitely not enough, especially if you want to do a thorough review with their 7 books. I did content review for 2 months and their FLs for 2.5 weeks + review (total 8 practice exams, not including AAMC FL + OG).

My diagnostic score was ~485. I am now averaging close to 492 (+/-2) and I take the exam on Saturday. I realize my scores did not drastically improve (and therefore not the best person for advice), but it's POSSIBLE to improve in a month (if not, at least by January). Personally speaking, a lot of factors play a role in our performance on the exam: endurance, knowledge, critical thinking...etc.
Figure out where you're going wrong and pay closer attention to that part when studying/taking exams. GOOD LUCK!

Thank you for your comment it is nice to see that someone else started with a low score and has made improvements! Good luck on Saturday!

If you call them and tell them that you don't feel prepared and want to postpone you can extend for free. That's what I did. Either way, good luck!

Score:

I also took Kaplan and have been unable to score above a 500 (no more than 125 on each section). I have heard from multiple people that Kaplan's tests are very hard and that even they weren't able to score above a 500 but went on to do well on the actual exam. This being said, keep studying. I've found that doing practice is more beneficial than reviewing material because for this exam, much of the questions are inference based from the passages. While you still need to know material, it's much more about applying it to the passage and that's what's mainly difficult for me. Good luck! Please keep updating on how you're doing! I take my exam September 3rd!

Hi everyone so I know that I was debating about taking the MCAT today, well I took it, and I decided to have it scored.
I felt that the chem/phys section was ridiculously difficult! If was more challenging that any of kaplan's practice test! I know I didn't do as well as I would have liked but I am proud of myself for not having a panic attack or getting a headache!

I have a long ways to go but taking it was good, because I feel I have a better idea of what to study!

If y'all would like I can keep updating with my progress, and what I have found to be effective study technique?

If it makes you feel any better, I went from 485 on diagnostic test to my highest test score is a 504 on kaplan fl 3 then I decreased to a 501 on fl 4 :(. It can be done though. I watched chad's videos for gen chem and physics in addition to kaplan and I feel that kaplan science review videos for bio and biochem is really good. I studies for 2 and half month and took the mcat today too. Good luck to you.

On the same boat ish... I took TPR's FL's my first one was a 490. Then got a 496 then a 495. Taken 3 so far but I for some reason my weaknesses in one exam is my strength in another. Not sure if it's content review or I am just missing the big picture on certain passages.

If it makes you feel any better, I went from 485 on diagnostic test to my highest test score is a 504 on kaplan fl 3 then I decreased to a 501 on fl 4 :(. It can be done though. I watched chad's videos for gen chem and physics in addition to kaplan and I feel that kaplan science review videos for bio and biochem is really good. I studies for 2 and half month and took the mcat today too. Good luck to you.

Actual MCAT score?

On the same boat ish... I took TPR's FL's my first one was a 490. Then got a 496 then a 495. Taken 3 so far but I for some reason my weaknesses in one exam is my strength in another. Not sure if it's content review or I am just missing the big picture on certain passages.

Actual MCAT score?

Score:

How did you do on your actual test?