Low score on nbme need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bob90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I took the nbme 15 and got 180 ...
The most points I lost was in the Applying Foundational Science concepts.
Currently I use uworld, first aid, pathoma.
This is the breakdown:
Physician Task: Applying foundational science concepts 55
Physician Task: Diagnosis 2
Physician Task: Principles of management 6
Physician Task: Evidence-Based Medicine 0
Behavioral Sciences 3
Biochem and nutrition 11
Genetics 4
Gross Anatomy and Embryology 5
Histology 12
Microbiology 13
Pathology 24
Pharmacology 21
Physiology 21
General Principles 22
Blood and Lympho 6
Behavioural Health 6
Musculoskeletal 6
Cardiovascular 6
Respiratory 2
Gastrointestinal 2
Reporoductive 8
Multisystem 8
Biostatistics 0
Any idea on the most effective way of fixing it?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For physiology - I would recommend Physeo. It breaks down the physiology of the organ systems in easy ways to understand. The videos might be long, like the heart murmurs was 40 minutes but it finally got me to understand heart murmurs.

I would stop using uworld for this study period, and switch to a different qbank to help you learn the information first. Kaplan has some good explanations. But uworld is still #1.

Lastly, I say try Boards and Beyond as he covers pretty much everything in FA and even includes the pages numbers (of FA) that go with each video. He doesn't read you the information; instead, he actually explains what something is and why it's doing the thing. Because he's a Cardiologist, he will tie some of the concepts into clinical medicine and other organ systems to help you build the connections.

When is your comlex or step 1?

Reactions: 1 user
For physiology - I would recommend Physeo. It breaks down the physiology of the organ systems in easy ways to understand. The videos might be long, like the heart murmurs was 40 minutes but it finally got me to understand heart murmurs.

I would stop using uworld for this study period, and switch to a different qbank to help you learn the information first. Kaplan has some good explanations. But uworld is still #1.

Lastly, I say try Boards and Beyond as he covers pretty much everything in FA and even includes the pages numbers (of FA) that go with each video. He doesn't read you the information; instead, he actually explains what something is and why it's doing the thing. Because he's a Cardiologist, he will tie some of the concepts into clinical medicine and other organ systems to help you build the connections.

When is your comlex or step 1?

Thank you so much for responding. I write my step in 4 weeks. I'm sorry but what is physeo? I tried googling it but nothing came up. If i were to use only one set of lecture videos would you recommend physeo or boards and beyond?

Thank you so much for responding. I write my step in 4 weeks. I'm sorry but what is physeo? I tried googling it but nothing came up. If i were to use only one set of lecture videos would you recommend physeo or boards and beyond?

Here's the link, not surprised google couldn't get it for you, it likes to auto correct it to the correct spelling lol Physeo - Physeo

That is a tough decision. As someone who also scored low in the nbme's, I want to give you a heads up that you might have to push your exam date back. Granted you have 4 weeks and a lot can change, so I hope you'll prove me wrong there. I would like you to do both since it seems like you'll lacking information in all areas. But if I had to do one, since you missed a good amount in physiology. Let's go with Physeo for now.

Here's the link, not surprised google couldn't get it for you, it likes to auto correct it to the correct spelling lol Physeo - Physeo

That is a tough decision. As someone who also scored low in the nbme's, I want to give you a heads up that you might have to push your exam date back. Granted you have 4 weeks and a lot can change, so I hope you'll prove me wrong there. I would like you to do both since it seems like you'll lacking information in all areas. But if I had to do one, since you missed a good amount in physiology. Let's go with Physeo for now.

Thank you so much.

Reactions: 1 user