Low scores in physiology and pathology, but high scores in pathophysiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blunt Dissection

"Keep poking until it's out."
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem in their prep for Step 1. Across both Kaplan and USMLE-Rx, I'm finding that I'm only getting about 55-60% of my pathology and physiology questions right, but my pathophysiology section is in the range of 75-80% correct. From reading some threads, it seems that "pathology" focuses more on the histological deficits and physio is just physio. I feel like I must be making some kind of error in my thought process when it comes to pathology and physio questions, but I can't figure out what it is. You would think that in order to do well in pathophysiology that you should be doing well in pathology and physiology right? Any suggestions on how I can target these 2 really important areas of weakness?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem in their prep for Step 1. Across both Kaplan and USMLE-Rx, I'm finding that I'm only getting about 55-60% of my pathology and physiology questions right, but my pathophysiology section is in the range of 75-80% correct. From reading some threads, it seems that "pathology" focuses more on the histological deficits and physio is just physio. I feel like I must be making some kind of error in my thought process when it comes to pathology and physio questions, but I can't figure out what it is. You would think that in order to do well in pathophysiology that you should be doing well in pathology and physiology right? Any suggestions on how I can target these 2 really important areas of weakness?

Guyton quests and Zanki if you want to kill Physiology Quests. 10% through w/ Uworld and 90%+ on Physio quests here.

Guyton quests and Zanki if you want to kill Physiology Quests. 10% through w/ Uworld and 90%+ on Physio quests here.

I've heard of Guyton's before during 1st year and it ended up being the debate between Guyton vs Costanzo. Are you talking about a Guyton review book similar to BRS physio?