low sGPA ugh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jccalalafc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm concerned with my low sGPA and I was wondering if it's a deal breaker for the upcoming cycle, decided to go premed my junior year, so i overloaded in science classes and didnt do too hot
cGPA: 3.42
sGPA: 3.05 (bleh)
MCAT: 29O
approaching 200 hrs in hospital volunteering
shadowed a DO 20+ hrs, getting a letter from him
certified EMT (no field experience yet)
week-long medical volunteering trip to Honduras
internship in London hospital for 6 weeks involving clinical care
i have some other non-medical related extracurriculars
im aware of the grade replacement policy, but i don't have any C's, just a lot of B/B-, which i guess i can still retake, but i dunno
any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm concerned with my low sGPA and I was wondering if it's a deal breaker, decided to go premed my junior year, so i overloaded in science classes and didnt do too hot
cGPA: 3.42
sGPA: 3.05 (bleh)
MCAT: 29O
approaching 200 hrs in hospital volunteering
shadowed a DO 20+ hrs, getting a letter from him
certified EMT
week-long medical volunteering trip to Honduras
internship in London hospital for 6 weeks
im aware of the grade replacement policy, but i don't have any C's, just a lot of B/B-, which i guess i can still retake, but i dunno
any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Whats "overloaded" with science classes? 9-15 hours of B's?

I definitely don't think your situation is a deal breaker. Would you be open to the idea of an extra year of upper level science courses?

Would you be open to the idea of an extra year of upper level science courses?
which would help the most if you could manage a lot of A range grades, of course.

Can you manage to bump up the shadowing hours to 50-ish before you apply (which is about the average listed)? Maybe you did some shadowing in Honduras or London, which would be fine to carve out from the rest of those experiences and include under Shadowing.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
which would help the most if you could manage a lot of A range grades, of course.

Can you manage to bump up the shadowing hours to 50-ish before you apply (which is about the average listed)? Maybe you did some shadowing in Honduras or London, which would be fine to carve out from the rest of those experiences and include under Shadowing.

Glad to hear I have at least some chance, seriously that sGPA is killing me, but I'm not a science major, and I'm already out of my undergrad...
If I interacted with patients, took vitals and patient information etc. would that go under "shadowing" or "clinical experiences?" Just want to see where to classify before I go searching for another DO to shadow, cus I def want to get that shadowing hours number to 50

If I interacted with patients, took vitals and patient information etc. would that go under "shadowing" or "clinical experiences?" Just want to see where to classify before I go searching for another DO to shadow, cus I def want to get that shadowing hours number to 50
Interacting with patients verbally or hands-on would be considered clinical experience. Observing the physician interact with a patient would be shadowing.

Interacting with patients verbally or hands-on would be considered clinical experience. Observing the physician interact with a patient would be shadowing.

ahh ok, fair enough, makes sense, however if I did both, how should I express that on the application? thanks for your input btw
and anyone else have thoughts on my numbers/extracurriculars?

if I did both, how should I express that on the application?
You can either split out the two types of experience and list them separately based on your best estimate of the times involved for each, or you can describe the entire experience in one space and estimate the percent time spent on each type of activity within the description.