Low step 1 (205) and taking step 2 after ERAS submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpppplease121

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Xxxxxxxx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should have started studying for Step 2 as soon as you got that Step 1 score back. You'll likely get auto-screened out with that low of a Step 1 and no Step 2 to show yet at a lot of higher end programs. However, I'd bet you'd still get interviews and may get more interviews if you do better on Step 2 and that score comes back while interview season is still open. Depends on how broadly you're applying and what your geographical restriction is.

You should have started studying for Step 2 as soon as you got that Step 1 score back. You'll likely get auto-screened out with that low of a Step 1 and no Step 2 to show yet at a lot of higher end programs. However, I'd bet you'd still get interviews and may get more interviews if you do better on Step 2 and that score comes back while interview season is still open. Depends on how broadly you're applying and what your geographical restriction is.

Thanks, I thought interview season was November - January ? My step 2 should be available end of September to October!

I'm in the same boat as you, sort of. I took step 1 (some people would consider my score "low"), step 2 CS (passed on the first try) and took step 2 CK (aug 23). If sweet baby Jesus allows and all the stars/moon align, I'll have a PASSING score back either the week before OR the week after it opens so I will just apply then. Doesn't make sense to give ERAS thousand(s) of dollars if you don't pass. From my understanding, some programs set filters on the DAY it opens and a lot will be screened out. Other wait until they have a bunch of apps and begin the screening process. I'll tell you right now, step 2 CK was a complete S**t show. I used OnlineMeded for everything as a review, some older Kaplan videos just for OBGYN, and of course uworld with detailed note-taking. While I must admit that I did so some VERY similar uworld questions the way they structure this test really is, for lack of better words, weird.

Once you get your Step 2 score back, be sure to immediately send an email to the program director of everywhere you applied. It's another chance to highlight your non-Step assets. Since you have time, I'd be worth doing an individual email for each institution that you're applying for (ie list why specifically you like that individual program). It's going to take a lot of work, but it's better than not matching!

Once you get your Step 2 score back, be sure to immediately send an email to the program director of everywhere you applied. It's another chance to highlight your non-Step assets. Since you have time, I'd be worth doing an individual email for each institution that you're applying for (ie list why specifically you like that individual program). It's going to take a lot of work, but it's better than not matching!

ERAS rules are that you don't contact programs until they contact you. Please don't do this. It won't help.

Edited since I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
ERAS rules are that you don't contact programs until they contact you. Please don't do this. It won't help.

I thought that was only true in SOAP. Has something changed?

Reactions: 1 users

I thought that was only true in SOAP. Has something changed?

Agreed- I thought that was only true for SOAP? Almost everyone I know sent emails to programs to update them on their application or board scores.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My bad. You are correct.

(It sounded wrong in my head when I wrote it. Tired from a long week on the Hospital Medicine service!)

Reactions: 1 users
Need major advice...eras is open already...and I was supposes to take step 1 (yes ONE) weeks ago...screwed by prometric due to schedule glitch...and taking exam next week....result wont be in till oct 18th...what do i do?! I know i can do well.
..but what then...so late to apply...would it matter even if high score or will i have to contact places to ask them to look at app?! Applying vasc surg n gen surg help plz!!

Need major advice...eras is open already...and I was supposes to take step 1 (yes ONE) weeks ago...screwed by prometric due to schedule glitch...and taking exam next week....result wont be in till oct 18th...what do i do?! I know i can do well.
..but what then...so late to apply...would it matter even if high score or will i have to contact places to ask them to look at app?! Applying vasc surg n gen surg help plz!!
How are you a 4th year who hasn't taken Step 1?

How are you a 4th year who hasn't taken Step 1?
Come into prometric...exam at 830am...someone else sitting in seat im scheduled for since 8 taking a diff exam...apparent glitch...had to get whole new permit...etc etc...complete and total mess/nightmare

Come into prometric...exam at 830am...someone else sitting in seat im scheduled for since 8 taking a diff exam...apparent glitch...had to get whole new permit...etc etc...complete and total mess/nightmare
But how did your school let you get this far without taking Step 1?

Or are you an IMG? In which case this discussion in pointless since you won't get interviews regardless of when you take Step 1 this year (since you're probably also missing 2CK and CS).

Or are you a DO with a COMLEX? In which case, just submit that and forget Step 1.

DO but vasc surg and gen surg acgme need usmle step 1 this is so horrible idk what to do

QUOTE="gutonc, post: 19302737, member: 63805"]But how did your school let you get this far without taking Step 1?

Or are you an IMG? In which case this discussion in pointless since you won't get interviews regardless of when you take Step 1 this year (since you're probably also missing 2CK and CS).

Or are you a DO with a COMLEX? In which case, just submit that and forget Step 1.[/QUOTE]

DO but vasc surg and gen surg acgme need usmle step 1 this is so horrible idk what to do
Do you have a time machine?

Not sure you're getting integrated vascular even with a 270 Step 1 so not sure how relevant that is.

Gen Surg isn't outside the realm of possibility...if you're rocking 700+ COMLEX scores.

Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), you should have taken this a long time ago. Any number of catastrophies could occur to interrupt your test, you should have built in some cushion.

Looking at your post history, it appears you took Step 2 CS in July, posted you were certain to have failed, and then passed with a borderline score (although only you see your score report). I am mighty confused as why a DO would bother with Step 2 CS -- you'll have to take the equivalent COMLEX exam, and no ACGME PD is going to care about Step 2 CS.

Why don't you tell us what your COMLEX scores are (and S2 CK if you have it). Although the two exams are different and it's hard to predict your performance on USMLE based on COMLEX, I'm wondering if exams are a "strnegth" or a "weakness", and your COMLEX scores will give some insight into that.

Vasc Surg is an uphill climb for allo MD, let alone DO. It's not impossible, but you'd want a stellar application. Gen Surg is much more open to well performing DO candidates, and there are a good number of AOA programs.