Low step 1 advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notApenguin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback about my situation as I've been feeling pretty anxious about my low step 1 score

Step 1: 214, midtier USMD, no failures/professionalism issues
Currently in M3 year and have done 2 rotations so far, have gotten good preceptor evaluations but done poorly on shelf, I expect this to be the general trend for all my rotations. P/F curriculum first 2 years but I think my school does class rank for 3rd year grades and I'm guessing ill be in the bottom quartile or so b/c shelf exams
Have good leadership experience and unique projects with good funding

My goal is to match into family medicine back home in Chicago (which has about 20 available programs), how difficult will this be assuming I don't fail anything the last 2 years and do about the same or slightly better on step 2? I'm mostly anxious because I've looked on Frieda and each program only has ~5 or so spots and a decent number of them screen step scores < 220

I guess I'm asking if I will have an easy time matching back home or if I should accept that I will need to apply very broadly.
Also, would IM possibly be easier for me to match in? There's also about 20 programs but they have like 40 spots each, I know in general scores tend to be higher for IM applicants though

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll match. It may not be in Chicago, but somewhere in the midwest. Work hard the rest of the year and prove yourself clinically. Use 4th year to do aways at 2-3 of these programs and let them see you in action.

Reactions: 1 user
you should be able to match FM in chicago, maybe even IM if you play your cards right. FM more likely tho.

Reactions: 1 user