Low Step 1 and 2, IM chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trifectaninja

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did absolutely horrible on step 2 recently... 215. After a measly 213 on Step 1. Comlex level 1 around 510. Waiting for level 2.

I'm looking to apply IM. My question is do I still have a decent chance with those low step scores? The rest of my app is eh, nothing special. A few presentations and some volunteer work, active in campus stuff but that's about it. I'm so disappointed in that step 2 score. I'm starting to freak out a little. Is this situation requiring me to apply to FM as a back up? Or if I apply broadly enough, target most if not all former DO IM programs, I should have a decent chance?

Any advice would be great pls.

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll definitely match IM. You just won’t match at the university program in the mega city. You’ll match match the community/communiversity program 25 minutes away. Unless you’re geographically flexible, then you’ll still have a decent shot at matching a university program in the Midwest but it’ll likely involve a bit of luck.

You’ll likely have to explain your step 2 score at some point. But keep in mind that while IM is probably one of the most competitive fields at the top, it’s literally the least competitive field at the bottom. It’s going to be okay.

Reactions: 4 users
You’ll definitely match IM. You just won’t match at the university program in the mega city. You’ll match match the community/communiversity program 25 minutes away. Unless you’re geographically flexible, then you’ll still have a decent shot at matching a university program in the Midwest but it’ll likely involve a bit of luck.

You’ll likely have to explain your step 2 score at some point. But keep in mind that while IM is probably one of the most competitive fields at the top, it’s literally the least competitive field at the bottom. It’s going to be okay.

I appreciate it. I posted on reddit and of course every comment said to apply FM to be safe.

Right now, I'm targeting all the previous DO residencies or the ones that have "Osteopathic recognition" on their page for ERAS. And programs that have a documented low cut off for step (200/210) as well as programs that have "pass on first attempt is preferred" on their website. I plan on being very strategic with choosing programs and I plan to apply to a whole lot of them, unfortunately. Geographically, I'm looking mostly in the midwest and up and down the east coast also in the south like TX, LA, FL. Basically states that have programs that routinely take DOs.

Ideally I'd match in a city but if I'm training outside of a city in the suburbs, I'm realizing that's not that big of a deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can definitely still match IM, it just depends where. If your school is a known quantity and has good connections, you could still swing university.

I appreciate it. I posted on reddit and of course every comment said to apply FM to be safe.

Right now, I'm targeting all the previous DO residencies or the ones that have "Osteopathic recognition" on their page for ERAS. And programs that have a documented low cut off for step (200/210) as well as programs that have "pass on first attempt is preferred" on their website. I plan on being very strategic with choosing programs and I plan to apply to a whole lot of them, unfortunately. Geographically, I'm looking mostly in the midwest and up and down the east coast also in the south like TX, LA, FL. Basically states that have programs that routinely take DOs.

Ideally I'd match in a city but if I'm training outside of a city in the suburbs, I'm realizing that's not that big of a deal.
I saw that reddit thread and became concerned for myself (couldn’t post because I had literally just made the account to comment on it). I’ve only just gotten a Step 1 of 219 (comlex pending) and felt okay based on match stats from 2018 if I decided to go IM, but am I in trouble if wanting to do pulm/cc potentially? Not trying to hijack the thread, but I think we’re looking for similar info in regards to IM. From the other thread I got the vibe we were destined for community or rural which made me feel a little uneasy

I saw that reddit thread and became concerned for myself (couldn’t post because I had literally just made the account to comment on it). I’ve only just gotten a Step 1 of 219 (comlex pending) and felt okay based on match stats from 2018 if I decided to go IM, but am I in trouble if wanting to do pulm/cc potentially? Not trying to hijack the thread, but I think we’re looking for similar info in regards to IM. From the other thread I got the vibe we were destined for community or rural which made me feel a little uneasy
You’re not in trouble. You will have to be strategic in applying and might have to sacrifice desirable location for increased training quality . You need to rock your rotations, and go up on step 2 if you can. Get good letters. It ain’t over yet! Even if you guys m/gals match community programs, you can still match these fellowships. You just have to hustle. Do more research, maybe a chief year, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
You’re not in trouble. You will have to be strategic in applying and might have to sacrifice desirable location for increased training quality . You need to rock your rotations, and go up on step 2 if you can. Get good letters. It ain’t over yet! Even if you guys m/gals match community programs, you can still match these fellowships. You just have to hustle. Do more research, maybe a chief year, etc.
You’re a gentleman and a scholar, I appreciate the input and advice :’)

To put your mind at ease
1594071772961.png

You might have better luck in cities than you realize, but think twice before you charge into places known for being malignant.

You can totally do PCCM from a community residency. Preferably match in a place with a PCCM fellowship (not strictly required but very helpful). Declare yourself as interested early, be eager to learn/do procedures and vents, read up on cool crit care things and discuss on rounds, be likable and useful, get good letters, participate in a research project.

In a busy ICU if you can get along with people and be trusted to handle stuff on your own the fellows and attendings will have a very favorable opinion of you.

You might have better luck in cities than you realize, but think twice before you charge into places known for being malignant.

You can totally do PCCM from a community residency. Preferably match in a place with a PCCM fellowship (not strictly required but very helpful). Declare yourself as interested early, be eager to learn/do procedures and vents, read up on cool crit care things and discuss on rounds, be likable and useful, get good letters, participate in a research project.

In a busy ICU if you can get along with people and be trusted to handle stuff on your own the fellows and attendings will have a very favorable opinion of you.
I don’t consider myself the brightest, but I think I’m certainly personable! I appreciate everyone’s tips.