Low step 1 - any hope for rads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qt3141592

Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I'm currently an MS3 seriously considering diagnostic radiology, but my step 1 score is low--220 to be exact. I'm aware that 220 is far from the 241 step 1 average for DR, which is making me very nervous about applying to DR. I would be content going to any program in the US, as long as the clinical training is good.

Some background:

-Grades during MS3 have been all high pass so far, with one pass. I expect to be able to high pass the rest of my rotations. (My school does H/HP/P/F).
- 1 research activity during summer of MS1, but no publications or presentations unfortunately
- I attend a US MD school (top 10)
- I haven't taken step 2 yet, but hopefully will improve (!)

Is it possible for me to match into radiology with a 220 step 1, average clinical grades, and no radiology research? Or should I let go of this dream and focus my effort on a more realistic goal?

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN,

I'm currently an MS3 seriously considering diagnostic radiology, but my step 1 score is low--220 to be exact. I'm aware that 220 is far from the 241 step 1 average for DR, which is making me very nervous about applying to DR. I would be content going to any program in the US, as long as the clinical training is good.

Some background:

-Grades during MS3 have been all high pass so far, with one pass. I expect to be able to high pass the rest of my rotations. (My school does H/HP/P/F).
- 1 research activity during summer of MS1, but no publications or presentations unfortunately
- I attend a US MD school (top 10)
- I haven't taken step 2 yet, but hopefully will improve (!)

Is it possible for me to match into radiology with a 220 step 1, average clinical grades, and no radiology research? Or should I let go of this dream and focus my effort on a more realistic goal?

Thanks for the input!

You'll probably match. 46/59 US MD applicants with a 211-220 Step 1 score matched in 2018, and coming from a T-10 you'll have a bit of an advantage on the interview trail. Just do better on Step 2, network aggressively and try to get a few pubs out and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think rads' high step scores are a product of self-selection, i.e. the type of people who are interested in rads are also the type of person to do fairly well on step 1. The "probably of matching" curve puts a 220 above 85%, so just continue to work hard and don't let one downside hurt your entire application.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the help! How bad would it be to go to a community program for my training? I know it will vary by institution, but if am only able to get into a "low-tier" radiology program, would my training there be sufficient in order to be a good radiologist and gain employment, preferably in California?

Thanks for the help! How bad would it be to go to a community program for my training? I know it will vary by institution, but if am only able to get into a "low-tier" radiology program, would my training there be sufficient in order to be a good radiologist and gain employment, preferably in California?

Fresno or Newport Beach?