LOW Step 1, no H/HP - interested in IM Primary Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Delilah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never been a strong test taker. I scored a 197 on Step 1, get amazing clinical evaluations only to be let down by subpar shelf scores and so I haven't gotten a single H or HP in med school and only have 2 rotations left (neither in a field I want to go into). I'm interested in Primary Care and have a strong track record of extracurriculars that speak to that. I come from a top 20 medical school.

My q is: is NYU Primary Care IM Residency a reach that I should do an away elective there? I still have Sub I and CK to try to make up for.

ANy advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I've never been a strong test taker. I scored a 197 on Step 1, get amazing clinical evaluations only to be let down by subpar shelf scores and so I haven't gotten a single H or HP in med school and only have 2 rotations left (neither in a field I want to go into). I'm interested in Primary Care and have a strong track record of extracurriculars that speak to that. I come from a top 20 medical school.

My q is: is NYU Primary Care IM Residency a reach that I should do an away elective there? I still have Sub I and CK to try to make up for.

Yes, you should do an away elective there.

Yes, you should do an away elective there.

Thanks for the reply. I noticed you're also at JH Bayview (I've been researching it heavily). I'm highly interested in the program and even emailed Dr Colleen Christmas about it last week to find out about possible electives (haven't heard back). Would you reccommend doing an away there as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I noticed you're also at JH Bayview (I've been researching it heavily). I'm highly interested in the program and even emailed Dr Colleen Christmas about it last week to find out about possible electives (haven't heard back). Would you reccommend doing an away there as well?

Thanks for stalking me.

I graduated, but yes, I would recommend doing an away elective anywhere you really want to get into. They are usually pretty receptive to medical students with away electives. If they don't have a spot, they'll make one up for you.

I'm in almost the same boat. 202 on Step I. I've passed all my Shelf exams. Never honored or HP.

I'm at an American MD school in the Midwest. My resident and PD evaluations have always been excellent. So much so I thought I would honor IM until the shelf came along.

I figure to do some Sub-Is, and get a few poster presentations in this next year.

I hope that a program will remember me as the guy who worked his ass off and never complained, and got his work done, and not as the guy who barely passed his Step I.

The Bayview program is a very good program. I'm gonna be honest, I think it is going to be a definite stretch to match there. Nonetheless, I do think doing a few aways is a good idea with someone in your position and applying won't hurt at all. Just know going in that many hopkins med students choose Bayview for medicine especially if they are going into primary care so the competition is stiff.

All you can do is do your best from here on out. I would highly recommend doing Step 2 earlyish (ie right after 3rd year clerkships) and shooting to knock it out of the park.

Ok, my other top choice is Montefiore Primary Care. I plan to do an away there. Is this a reach?