low step 1 score 2017/ fm ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolita90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just got my USMLE Step 1 score and the results were disappointing... i got a 211 when i thought i had at least a 230... I really don't know what happened. I am an US citizen, IMG who graduated on July in DR, I have an AS degree on Liberal Arts and Science and worked as a Lab assistant during my undergraduate training at BCC. I also graduated with Honors in my medical school. I would like to know recommendations in order for me to have a chance on the next match ( planning to take CS on March) and Ck by Aug (2018). Any help will be kindly appreciated.
I want to go for IM or FM but right now I'm very discouraged based on this score.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine.
I was told 3-4 years ago that IM was slowly creeping up in terms of competitiveness. FM you'll definitely be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told 3-4 years ago that IM was slowly creeping up in terms of competitiveness. FM you'll definitely be fine.

Not necessarily. Overall, the fields are similarly competitive. Within each field, competitiveness will depend more on which programs you're applying to. Be aware that FM will be looking for interest in primary care. IM less so. There are more positions offered in IM.

Reactions: 1 users
Not necessarily. Overall, the fields are similarly competitive. Within each field, competitiveness will depend more on which programs you're applying to. Be aware that FM will be looking for interest in primary care. IM less so. There are more positions offered in IM.
Oh ok, but the score i got on step 1, how will it impact my chances if i get a better score on ck and pass cs on first try
thank you

Oh ok, but the score i got on step 1, how will it impact my chances if i get a better score on ck and pass cs on first try
thank you

Well, obviously, any trend that shows improvement will be viewed positively. However, your application is more than your step scores.