Low Step 1 score, what are my Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoffeeMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm a Mexican IMG, 25 years old, female
Graduated last year, I just got my Step 1 score and I'm devastated, I got 195, not at all what I was expecting.
I'm interested in the IM/EM/CCM programs, I would also be applying to EM/IM and even EM for 2014
Are these programs very competitive?
I have done rotations in the US and was named Chief Medical Student.
I think I have three strong LOR (IM/CCM, Nephrology and Vascular Surgery)
I have worked on 2 research protocols, I have 15 publications: 2 review papers (one in Pubmed), 6 editorials (one in Pubmed), 1 book chapter and 6 abstracts of lectures given.
I have lectured twice at an International EM/CCM symposium
Graduated 4th of my class with honors.

I'm currently working as Reasearch Assistant, full time and that has made studying for the exams a bit harder.

My question is: What is better for me now, to stop working and focus on acing CK, CS and Step 3 or continue building up my curriculum and study as much as I can in between
Any advice?.

Do I even stand a chance of getting Interviews/Matching?
Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

There's a dedicated forum for combined residencies-- I would ask them.

As someone who is interested in the same programs, I would say yes, they are competitive. You're probably better off trying to get into any American IM/EM program if you're set on CCM, since the fellowships are opening up to EM-trained docs. If you're comfortable practicing in a rural environment, there are also FM docs who staff EDs and ICUs-- rare in academic centers but it does happen outside them-- and if you speak Spanish fluently perhaps that would be viewed as an asset in such a location. Here in TX, I've heard a few doctors who have talked about practices like that.

Without knowing more about how program directors at those places view the whole picture, and how many IMGs get spots, it's tough to say but I'm sure someone in the EM/IM/CCM pathway who checks the combined forum could give you a better idea. Good luck!

Thank you for the Reply and advice, I will definitely look into that, and I'll ask around the Combined Residency forums.
Tnx :)