PELE#10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
Status
I have heard from people that if I do well on step 2 that I could still possibly match into a program. My score was barely passing. Has anyone been in the same situation and what programs would you recomend applying to. I am also an IMG.

THanks

rayoflite

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Status
Post Doc
PELE#10 said:
I have heard from people that if I do well on step 2 that I could still possibly match into a program. My score was barely passing. Has anyone been in the same situation and what programs would you recomend applying to. I am also an IMG.

THanks
If you are applying for July 2007 and only have step 1 then your ECFMG certificate is pretty far from now. That isn't very good since my understanding is that all the programs want to know that what they're buying is actually going to happen for them.
For the "what programs" part you need to visit SAEM, Freida and EMRAmatch (not EMRA) websites (from which emramatch gives the best info on how many IMGs different programs have had respectively without too much surfing) and once you have done that and specified your desired prog. you should call them to make sure that there isn't any catch that would prevent your app. from being looked at (like USMLE cutoffs or years of previous US hands-on experience).
good luck

trkd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
PELE#10 said:

THanks
You should probably get onto taking step 2 pretty soon. Still possible though. If you take it mid-Sept (for example), it will be ready around mid-Oct. This is still fine to add it into your application. I would get on it soon though. Rotating somewhere probably won't hurt either. Lots of NY programs have IMGs (plenty elsewhere too). If you rotate at one, go check out the others during your month. Do a couple elective if you can. The more, the better, in this situation.

Otherwise, why not apply? Have backup specialty to apply to if there is something else that interests you as well. Worse thing that could happen by applying is that you might get your backup or only a prelim year or something. Best case senario is that you get a spot. Its not too late to at least give yourself a chance at getting in. I would start setting things up ASAP though. Also, I would search "IMG" in the "titles only" search function on the EM forum (under advanced search). There should be a lot of good reading to be done. Good luck!

About the Ads

NinerNiner999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
Where it's at.
Status
Attending Physician
You should check out this article:

McFattypants, F. "The accepted likelihood ratio of successful matching with low Step I scores when compared to known data in FAQ sticky threads." 2004, SDN.net. et al. Esquire.

MushieCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
PELE#10 said:

THanks
Take step II CK SOON...very soon!! Rock it...do an away rotation...rock it. Show them what your made of. Get a great SLOR, and do very very well on CK, and you've got a shot.
Don't give up...

About the Ads