Low step 2 CK (223), Chances of matching EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jerseyguy123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask what my chances are in matching EM now that I have received my step 2 CK score (223) a week ago and if I should even release it (DO student). I was bummed to see that my score was lower than both of my USWAs. For reference, my scores and what I think my SLOEs will be (based on grade, and mid rotation feedback) are listed below.

step 1: 228 Comlex 1: 518
step 2: 223 Comlex 2: 541

SLOE: mid 1/3 (possibly lower 1/3, but based on grade I think mid)
Sub-specialty SLOE (peds EM): top 1/3 (honors grade)
O-SLOE: top 1/3

Would you guys give me an idea of my chances, should I release step 2, especially considering I went up on COMLEX 2 but not step 2. Any help is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for your response. Do you mind if I ask how I should approach step 2, as in should I release my score or not?
You can only release your whole USMLE transcript, or not. You can’t release step 1 alone. And I think you would be much better off with your step scores than not.

Reactions: 1 user
thank you for your response. Do you mind if I ask how I should approach step 2, as in should I release my score or not?
I’d release them. Your score is low but it’s not horrible. I’d argue it looks worse just without step as an applicant. Lots of PDs don’t even know how to interpret comlex scores.

Reactions: 1 users
You absolutely should release your USLME scores with your scores. Your step 2 is low sure but those scores are gonna open more doors then they close as a DO. Just be ready to answer why you dropped plenty of valid reasons this year with covid f-ing up all of our test dates. You'll match is my vote.

Reactions: 2 users
Apologies in advance hijacking the post. But I'm in a similar situation. 4th year DO student applying to EM with step 1 of 223, comlex level 1 of 503, step 2 of 218 (no idea what happened) and comlex level II of 557. I honestly have no idea what happened with step 2 as i was scoring between 230-240 on my practice tests. In addition to that I took comlex level II only three days later and improved 50+ points in comparison to my level I. I have two sloes and a subspecialty sloe that I will be using to apply this cycle. I know that one of my regular sloes and my subspecialty sloe will have me in the upper 1/3. My other regular sloe will either have me in middle 1/3 or upper 1/3. What do you guys think my chances at successfully matching EM are? My plan is to apply to 200+ programs as I am willing to go anywhere in order to match into EM. If I am applying to this many places do you think I would need to apply to transitional/prelim year as a back up? Thanks in advance.

Id avoid EM unless you cant see yoursef doing anything else. The market is getting saturated in most places that people want to live and salaries are declining. Documentation requirements, press ganey, length ofnstay, door to doc time, etc etc etc is a huge pain in the ass in addition. Add on the midlevel enroachment nonsense and EM is crashing hard atm.

Id avoid EM unless you cant see yoursef doing anything else. The market is getting saturated in most places that people want to live and salaries are declining. Documentation requirements, press ganey, length ofnstay, door to doc time, etc etc etc is a huge pain in the ass in addition. Add on the midlevel enroachment nonsense and EM is crashing hard atm.
Yeah tbh I can't really see myself doing anything else. The only other rotation I liked was surgery and I think its safe to say I definitely would have no chance matching into that given my stats lol. Besides, I already kind of geared my app towards EM and obtained my SLOEs so I'm a little hesitant to backing out now last minute this far into 4th year.

Yeah tbh I can't really see myself doing anything else. The only other rotation I liked was surgery and I think its safe to say I definitely would have no chance matching into that given my stats lol. Besides, I already kind of geared my app towards EM and obtained my SLOEs so I'm a little hesitant to backing out now last minute this far into 4th year.
Look at charting outcomes, with a 228 step 1 and a decent comlex you have a pretty god shot at matching general surgery, don’t rule that out just yet. There’s over 50 former aoa general surgery prorgams and many community programs you could match at..

Look at charting outcomes, with a 228 step 1 and a decent comlex you have a pretty god shot at matching general surgery, don’t rule that out just yet. There’s over 50 former aoa general surgery prorgams and many community programs you could match at..
I believe OP had a 228 (I have a 223) but I do appreciate the sentiment. I plan on just going all out on EM applications and hoping for the best. Thank you for replying.