Low step 2, didnt match, planning step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

art76

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG from india with a step 1 and 2 scores of 90 and 77 respectively. The Step 2 was a disaster because i absolutely didnt study for it. I can't do anything to change my scores in step 2 but I am planning to take my Step 3 in 3 months from now. Although I know that programs just look at a pass or fail status on a Step 3, is it possible that getting a good score on the Step 3 would somehow make up for the Step 2 fiasco? I applied to pathology this year round but didnt match anywhere. Will be applying again for pathology next year. Any suggestions on what further I can do to strengthen my application?

Members don't see this ad.

A Step 3 score that rocks would surely help. Go for it! There are no other secrets... do something useful until the next application season - get some research experience, any sort of clinical experience in the US, good LoRs from American attendings and apply early next year. Good luck!