Low-tier MD schools with low GPA but good ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumbyj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply broadly and to many schools. Apply to every "low tier" school that accepts out of state applicants. You should be able to at least get some interviews.

Which lower tier schools are worth applying to with a 3.4 GPA, well above average research and clinical experience (probably> top 5%) and a mediocre MCAT (31-35)?

I have done lots of searching, but I would love some other opinions.
Are you a URM? If not, what state are you a resident in? If you don't have very forgiving in-state schools and are not URM, apply liberally to DO schools to ensure acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which lower tier schools are worth applying to with a 3.4 GPA, well above average research and clinical experience (probably> top 5%) and a mediocre MCAT (31-35)?

Have you taken the MCAT yet? A score of 31-35 is not mediocre by any means. Also, a four point difference in the score range is pretty large variance.

Have you taken the MCAT yet? A score of 31-35 is not mediocre by any means.

Taken a few practice tests scoring 30-37, so I am assuming 31-35 is a reasonable estimation. The average for matriculants is a 32, no? I didn't mean that a "31-35" is medicore per se, more that with a low GPA that MCAT leaves my app with something to be desired.

I believe that the average MCAT score for 2011 was around a 25 (I may be wrong on the exact number) with the average MCAT score of matriculants was a 31.something . Also, scoring on the top of your MCAT range, 37, will open alot of doors where a 31 will not....kind of hard to plan until you take the real thing and have an idea. When are you scheduled to take?

Are you a URM? If not, what state are you a resident in? If you don't have very forgiving in-state schools and are not URM, apply liberally to DO schools to ensure acceptance.

Not a URM unfortunately. I also have no state school.

I am applying DO as well, just trying to figure out if it is worth the $ to apply MD, and if it is worth being a re-applicant when I know my chances may be slim this year (say I get my lower-end of MCAT practice tests - 30).

Well why dont you wait until you get your mcat score.

Not having a state school is going to make it very rough.

Last edited:
Well why dont you wait until you get your mcat score.

Not have a state school is going to make it very rough.

Just realized I *may* be considered for my state school. But my state school is also Top 50...

I guess I just have to wait until the MCAT score, but I am not taking until July 6th so if I don't submit AMCAS and get verified before my score I am going to be at a disadvantage... hence why I am grappling with this now.

Also - I forgot to add that my low GPA is a consequence of working 40-60 hours throughout undergrad due to family reasons. PM me if you need more details. I don't know if this will help me at all. I didn't have time to really go to class let alone study. Just wanted to get my degree and get out of there and graduated in 3.25 years. I have been working for the past 2.5 years. Not sure what/if any difference this makes.

You can always just complete the primary AMCAS application, pick one MD school you know you will apply to, and then add other MD schools after you get your MCAT score back in August. The important thing would be to complete your AMCAS primary application as early as possible...you can always add more schools later on after you have been verified.

Actually you are borderline in between low tier and mid tier if your MCAT is 34-35 provided you have some exceptional EC's.

Look to Florida - often called Heaven's Gate for more reasons than one (especially if you get in).

3 new MD schools in the last 3 years. Good programs, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually you are borderline in between low tier and mid tier if your MCAT is 34-35 provided you have some exceptional EC's.

34-35 MCAT with exceptional ECs is only low tier to mid tier? :confused:

Your best bet is putting your stats into the LizzyM excel sheet and letting it filter schools by your stats.

Better go Caribbean imo.

Funny...

A 34-35 doesn't make up for a low GPA (3.4/3.3) IMO... My range is good but my average is closer to 32, which is average for matriculants. Most of whom have much higher GPAs.

Just realized I *may* be considered for my state school. But my state school is also Top 50...

I guess I just have to wait until the MCAT score, but I am not taking until July 6th so if I don't submit AMCAS and get verified before my score I am going to be at a disadvantage... hence why I am grappling with this now.

Also - I forgot to add that my low GPA is a consequence of working 40-60 hours throughout undergrad due to family reasons. PM me if you need more details. I don't know if this will help me at all. I didn't have time to really go to class let alone study. Just wanted to get my degree and get out of there and graduated in 3.25 years. I have been working for the past 2.5 years. Not sure what/if any difference this makes.

Definitely very important and relevant. Absolutely talk about that in your personal statement.

Take a look at my MDapps. It has a really good smattering of schools that fit right into the range you're suggesting you'll fall into.

Look to Florida - often called Heaven's Gate for more reasons than one (especially if you get in).

3 new MD schools in the last 3 years. Good programs, too.

They favor a good amount of instate though.

What is your BCPM (science+math) GPA? I know you asked in a later post what to do if your MCAT ends up only being a 30. I didn't catch what your state is from a quick skim of the thread, but I did read that you have no state school. If your BCPM GPA is similar to your cGPA (~3.4), then I think you have an iffy path to an MD school. That puts your LizzyM score (GPA times 10 plus MCAT) at 64, and many of the MD schools with LizzyM scores that that low are either schools that mostly matriculate URMs, or state schools that take 90%+ in-state. Additionally, Catalystik told me to add 1 to the LizzyM score to reflect the fact that we're talking mean vs median, so you really need to target schools that have LizzyM's of 66 and below if you end up with a 30 MCAT. There aren't that many that are friendly to out of staters.

I think you really need to put a lot of time into prep and try your best to get a score like a 34. If your GPA has an upward trend then that could certainly be enough if you target the right schools. 30 is really pushing it. Great for DO though.

just so you know, i was accepted to several MD and DO schools this cycle with less than a 3.1 and a 35 MCAT (3+ years of postgrad research is my only exceptional EC). I'm matriculating to a mid-tier out of state MD school.

edit: forgot to mention i am a caucasian male

Reactions: 1 user
When did 35 MCAT become mediocre?

35 is certainly not mediocre -- it is my goal score. I think what the original poster meant when she said mediocre is that the 31-35 range is not optimal for a typical non-URM applicant with a 3.4 GPA. While most of that range may be great for an applicant with the typical average GPA of a matriculant (3.65 or so), it isn't superb for someone with a GPA of ~3.4. Assuming OP is white, given past AAMC matriculation stats (available here, courtesy of SDN poster sector9: http://i42.tinypic.com/2a60e1e.jpg), a 35 MCAT would give them roughly a 64% chance to get accepted at an MD school. A 34 MCAT would give them roughly a 61% chance, a 33 MCAT would give them a 58% chance, 32 MCAT gives a 54% chance, and a 31 MCAT is a coinflip. For comparison purposes, a white applicant with a 32 MCAT and a 3.7 GPA would have a roughly 78% chance at admission. A low cumulative GPA can really hurt your chances, believe me I know. According to the charts, a white applicant with a 3.4 doesn't catch up to the 3.7/32 applicant in admission chance (78%) until an MCAT score of 40 is achieved. And how many people can score 40? A white applicant with a 3.3 doesn't catch up to the 3.7/32 applicant in admission chance until they achieve an MCAT score of 42? I'm extrapolating for that one.

Yo man I can give you a state school if you need one. My state has like 8, so I have plenty to share.

Last edited:
just so you know, i was accepted to several MD and DO schools this cycle with less than a 3.1 and a 35 MCAT (3+ years of postgrad research is my only exceptional EC). I'm matriculating to a mid-tier out of state MD school.

Out of curiosity, supnow, what was your BCPM GPA, how many schools total did you apply to, and when were your apps complete at most of your schools?

I had 3.4 31 with 10 interviews including an ivy league and other good schools... Just sell yourself on your App ( not urm either) and all MD schools ... My science gpa was only 3.7

From cali and matriculating out of state

I had 3.4 31 with 10 interviews including an ivy league and other good schools... Just sell yourself on your App ( not urm either) and all MD schools ... My science gpa was only 3.7

From cali and matriculating out of state

Do you mind sharing how many schools you applied to and what general time period (early July, late July, early August, etc.) your app was complete, on average? Great job!

Out of curiosity, supnow, what was your BCPM GPA, how many schools total did you apply to, and when were your apps complete at most of your schools?

BCPM = 3.0
schools = 24 MD and 6 DO
complete = early october - late october

Do you mind sharing how many schools you applied to and what general time period (early July, late July, early August, etc.) your app was complete, on average? Great job!

My amcas app wasn't verified til the first week of October which is late by sdn standards. I applied to roughly 30 schools. I hope this helps! I think sdn makes most people feel like they aren't good enough to get in. With my stats I thought I wasn't going to get a single interview! However on two of my interviews I was told that they really enjoyed my personal statement. I think as long as you show passion for science/medicine you will be fine!

My amcas app wasn't verified til the first week of October which is late by sdn standards. I applied to roughly 30 schools. I hope this helps! I think sdn makes most people feel like they aren't good enough to get in. With my stats I thought I wasn't going to get a single interview! However on two of my interviews I was told that they really enjoyed my personal statement. I think as long as you show passion for science/medicine you will be fine!

Awesome story. My app will be submitted in June and verified by mid-end of June, but I won't go complete until mid-August at the earliest (thanks to the MCAT). Your post made me feel the tiniest bit better.

My freshmen year I had a horrible GPA (ended with a 2.3) I went to a VERY competitive school. At that time I was a varsity soccer player. After that year I decided medicine was what I truly wanted to do. I couldn't afford to go to that school without playing soccer, and soccer was no longer what I wanted to do. I transferred to a state school and graduated with a 3.8. I just took my MCATS on 4-28 and feel pretty confident. I have worked in a hospital for over a year with direct patient contact, lots of shadowing, and was in a sorority. Will application committees look past my freshmen year considering I moved from a small rural town in texas to a competitive school in New York City, played soccer, and have done almost flawless since I transferred or will they automatically write me off (my overall gpa for my application is about a 3.43 -I had a lot of hours from high school that were all A's and took 12 hours of summer school at a community college between my freshmen and soph. year that brought my transfer GPA to a 3.0)

Where did you apply?