Low Tier Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Augustus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are quite few threads dedicated to this topic already; however, most of them are filled with people complaining that there are no "low tier" medical schools. And while I completely understand where that sentiment comes from there is obviously some kind of hierarchy (with the schools like Harvard and Hopkins on the top).

I know I'm not a super competitive applicant, and I'm a nontraditional applicant of sorts; therefore, I plan to avoid all of the upper-tier schools. Yet, I am finding trouble compiling a list of the mid-to-lower-tier schools where I think I will have a decent shot at acceptance.

I also live in a State that does not have a public medical school so that is out.

(On a side note, does anybody know where there is a list of Medical Schools by tuition? I can't seem to find an up to date list, and searching each school's website individually is rather difficult as they all have different formats and many seem to "hide" their tuition and fees sections.)

Members don't see this ad.

you can check us and news because i've that they have a list of schools with cheapest tuition

you should check out texas for schools like UThouston, UTsan antonio etc that aren't as well known and competitive as southwestern and baylor

If you have an extra 25 bucks, you should invest in the MSAR book. It gives a description of all the schools in terms of stats, tuition, school selection factors, etc.. Very sound investment! As for the internet, I dont know where to find the info, but the book is much more convenient than scouring the internet for reliable data.

Members don't see this ad :)
To follow up on what someone else said about the MSAR- you should definitely check that out. I have a US News and World Report book and that is pretty helpful, but the MSAR is great and much more detailed. I looked at it today for a while narrowing down the schools I'll apply to. If you don't want to buy it (like me), try a local library. My school library had it in the reference section so I'll definitely use it some more.

The Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) published by the AAMC is an excellent resource and if you avoid one application at a school that would be a bad fit thanks to the info in the MSAR it will more than pay for itself.

Don't count yourself out of the upper tier schools just because you are non-trad. Some of those schools really love the diversity that non-trads bring to the class. On the other hand, your gpa(10)+MCAT should be roughly equal to the school's average gpa(10)+MCAT - 1. (You can get that info on avg gpa & MCAT in the MSAR).

Lizzy - So I'm a post bac and I anticipate a big improvement in my postbac GPA from my undergrad GPA (there were some extenuating circumstances). Which GPA would I take to use in your formula? Overall (ugrad + postbac) or the average or...?

If it matters, I go to a top 10 school and the postbac I'm doing my school at is the same school that I did my undergrad.

I'd suggest being conservative... use the total gpa (particularly given that it is all from the same school) for all the courses both undergrad & post bac. This is going to give more weight to the undergrad just because it accounts for the bulk of your credits.

I also live in a State that does not have a public medical school so that is out.

What state are you in? Some states that don't have a public med school make agreements with neighboring states giving their residents in-stateish perks. Like Montana and Wyoming don't have schools but they have a deal with Washington (I think) saying they will view applicants from those states as in-state. A few other states have similar agreements...but Washington is the only one I can remember, maybe others can add...

Lizzy - So I'm a post bac and I anticipate a big improvement in my postbac GPA from my undergrad GPA (there were some extenuating circumstances). Which GPA would I take to use in your formula? Overall (ugrad + postbac) or the average or...?

If it matters, I go to a top 10 school and the postbac I'm doing my school at is the same school that I did my undergrad.

Use your amcas gpa.

On the other hand, your gpa(10)+MCAT should be roughly equal to the school's average gpa(10)+MCAT - 1. (You can get that info on avg gpa & MCAT in the MSAR).

What does (10) mean? Do you mean 10th percentile?