Low Tier Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgtati

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what are some of the low-tier MD schools in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

This will degrade into a flame war within one page. (1/2 a page, if anybody actually tries to answer your question.)

sacrament said:
This will degrade into a flame war within one page. (1/2 a page, if anybody actually tries to answer your question.)
Prepare to hear things such as "no such thing as a lower tier school."

Members don't see this ad :)
bgtati said:

approach #1- go to bookstore, pick up a copy of US News and World Report's list of med schools, anything ranked low is considered a lower tier md school (but is all bull)

approach #2- buy MSAR from the aamc. look through it and which ever schools have lower average numbers are considered lower tier.

Drexel, NYMC.

Harvard, WashU, Johns Hopkins, UCSF...to name a few

Oops, I forgot Wake Forest.

MWillie said:
Oops, I forgot Wake Forest.

:rolleyes:

Uh-oh, things are going to get ugly...

yea...oops forgot Wake was the same caliber as those other one's i named...

ok here goes again..."Wake, Harvard, Wash U, Hopkins, UCSF..."

(I coulda got ugly but it's ok...i'm in a nice mood)

I am going to try to answer your question. there are no preset list of low tier schools. A lot of it depends the different factors in your application. Most public schools give some preference to residents of certain locations. Some prefer people who grew up in rural areas or are interested in rural medicine (ex. Mercer). There are a few schools for URM ( morehouse and howard). Some schools really value a high GPA and some that prefer high MCAT scores. You really have to evaluate what the schools are looking for in an applicant and see if you fit that.

Also note that the schools that have lower mcat/gpa scores recieve a massive numbers of application; sometimes upwards of 10000. Therefore it is really difficult to standout in such a large applicant pool.

Some easy schools to start researching are yale, cornell, duke and stanford. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Any medical school to which I was accepted is by definition "low tier." That would include both LSU New Orleans and LSU Shreveport.

I want to extend this to observe that the definition of a "low tier" Emergency Medicine residency program are the eight that offered me interviews.

Sincerely,

P. Bear, MS IV but not Worthy
Swimming on the Bottom, Feeding, Wondering What Life is Like on the Elite Coral Reefs.

Dude chill out, as long as it is an accredited medical school, its good. I think there are things that are more important than what US news wants me to believe (to sell more issues). Its my opinion that more important than ranking is if a particular school is "right" for you. You can be miserable as a student at Johns Hopkins or Harvard although they are "ranked" as top tier schools. Then again you might feel totally at home at Drexel University SOM or Ponce school of medicine although they are "ranked" nowhere near the top.
The idea here is to become an MD and hopefully enjoy the experience for all it is. In the end where you do your residency is more important than where you go to med school (as long as it is an accredited school).
I was accepted at a well known school and a not so well known school, i chose the latter because it was right for me. I hope that helped.

getunconcsious said:
Anything not ranked in USNews, I guess...

well this is definatley not tru....b/c there are few schools out there that refuse to bow down to US NEWS's "supremacy" and so they dont sent in the survey.

BTW i smell a troll.

O and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :thumbup: :D

low tier schools...caribbean.

dude any U.S. school is gonna get you where you need to go.

hell, even the caribbean ones will (which is where my sorry ass will likely end up if i don't get off SDN and back to my MCAT review).

drguy22 said:
well this is definatley not tru....b/c there are few schools out there that refuse to bow down to US NEWS's "supremacy" and so they dont sent in the survey.

BTW i smell a troll.

O and HAPPY NEW YEAR! :thumbup: :D

when did you learn to speak english, by the way?

constructor said:
when did you learn to speak english, by the way?

i speak english very well, i was born here.....i wrote tat at 10AM..i was sleepy and was too lazy to fix my errors...

better question is what is a low Tier student?

If you go to the worst school in the world.. but you are capable of learning on your own.. you will get the best residency and make it big..

If you go tot the best school in the world.. but you are a dumb ass.. then you will not succeed.

The end.

bgtati said:

If it really matters to you...I guess a "low-tier" MD school would be any school that, if you mention the name to your parents' friends or to your grandparents, you don't get any sign of recognition. Otherwise, I don't think that a low tier MD school exists.

Let me tell you a story.

One day almost four years ago when I told my twin brother that I was going to medical school at LSU Shreveport he asked me why I didn't apply to any real medical schools.