Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Low tier Schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mixmaster, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi. I was hoping to get a list of lower tier schools for those applicants with okay numbers like 26mcat and 3.6gpa (like me). This could save alot of us some money and give us a better shot of acceptance. Im an Illinois resident so I guess I know that rush, loyola and finch oh and mcow... anything else??? Thanks

2. DZT

DZT Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Low Tier Schools:
    Finch
    Albany
    Drexel/MCP
    Jefferson Med Coll
    NYMC
    Med Coll of Wisconsin
    St. Louis U
    USUHS (become a Navy Seal first)

That's about it!

3. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks
    Anywhere else? Anyone!

4. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    dont forget vermont and GW. these schools aren't "easier " to get into, since all the borderline kids are applying their due to their lower overall stats.

5. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I wouldn't say Jefferson is lower tier

maybe you could replace that w/ temple? Jeff is ranked in the top 50...

6. steiner19er

steiner19er Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

lower tier, upper tier, who cares you all become a MD in the end. I bet if you ask 100 people what school their MD went to, 98 wouldn't know. That 1 who knows probably has no clue if its low or high tier, and the last guy knows everything b/c he is pre-med, and thats all he thinks about.

7. CANES2006

CANES2006 Miami chica
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Stein, that is soooo true.:D

8. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!
    15+ Year Member

If you're an illinois resident, the easiest school to get into is UIC by far. Huge class size really helps and the fact that there is little competition from out-of-staters. You don't need killer stats to get in. A couple years ago I scored an interview there with a 24Q MCAT and a 3.77 GPA. Bombed the interview b/c of nerves and that was the end of that. This time around I think I have the best chance of getting in at UIC among the 24 schools I appllied to, especially with a higher MCAT and GPA now.

9. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Knowing what the lower tier schools are is VERY important. Of course you get an MD at any accredited U.S. school, but people need to apply to a variety of schools to have a chance at a U.S. school. People here are so slow to say anything bad about anything. Well...some schools are worse than others. It's as simple as that. Yes, they all meet this minimum level of competency (which is very high relative to the rest of the world), but they simply are not all of equal caliber and will not all attract the same caliber of students.

10. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I think patients generally assume that their doctor went to a U.S. med school. I think most of them would care that their doctor couldn't get into a U.S. school if they thought to ask where he or she went to school. It's more a matter of assumption than apathy, in my opinion.

11. LeslieKay

LeslieKay Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't think the point of this thread was to say that this school is worse than that one and that if you go to a lower tier school you will not be as good of a doctor. Mixmaster just wanted to know which schools he has a better chance at.

12. The Mysterious Stranger

The Mysterious Stranger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

All of y'all made great points--that school ranking matters more to applicants than patients. However, I think the point of this thread was to ask for schools that fit a certain applicant's background. I don't think any value judgement was made on lower-tier schools. But you guys have great points b/c many applicants tend to put too much credence into U.S. News....

13. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

good news.. i was actually wanting to go there before i heard this..

14. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major
    7+ Year Member

My doctor's from University of Florida, that's where I really want to go!!!!:D