Low tier Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mixmaster

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was hoping to get a list of lower tier schools for those applicants with okay numbers like 26mcat and 3.6gpa (like me). This could save alot of us some money and give us a better shot of acceptance. Im an Illinois resident so I guess I know that rush, loyola and finch oh and mcow... anything else??? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Low Tier Schools:
Finch
Albany
Drexel/MCP
Jefferson Med Coll
NYMC
Med Coll of Wisconsin
St. Louis U
USUHS (become a Navy Seal first)

That's about it!

Thanks
Anywhere else? Anyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
dont forget vermont and GW. these schools aren't "easier " to get into, since all the borderline kids are applying their due to their lower overall stats.

I wouldn't say Jefferson is lower tier

maybe you could replace that w/ temple? Jeff is ranked in the top 50...

lower tier, upper tier, who cares you all become a MD in the end. I bet if you ask 100 people what school their MD went to, 98 wouldn't know. That 1 who knows probably has no clue if its low or high tier, and the last guy knows everything b/c he is pre-med, and thats all he thinks about.

Stein, that is soooo true.:D

If you're an illinois resident, the easiest school to get into is UIC by far. Huge class size really helps and the fact that there is little competition from out-of-staters. You don't need killer stats to get in. A couple years ago I scored an interview there with a 24Q MCAT and a 3.77 GPA. Bombed the interview b/c of nerves and that was the end of that. This time around I think I have the best chance of getting in at UIC among the 24 schools I appllied to, especially with a higher MCAT and GPA now.

Knowing what the lower tier schools are is VERY important. Of course you get an MD at any accredited U.S. school, but people need to apply to a variety of schools to have a chance at a U.S. school. People here are so slow to say anything bad about anything. Well...some schools are worse than others. It's as simple as that. Yes, they all meet this minimum level of competency (which is very high relative to the rest of the world), but they simply are not all of equal caliber and will not all attract the same caliber of students.

I think patients generally assume that their doctor went to a U.S. med school. I think most of them would care that their doctor couldn't get into a U.S. school if they thought to ask where he or she went to school. It's more a matter of assumption than apathy, in my opinion.

I don't think the point of this thread was to say that this school is worse than that one and that if you go to a lower tier school you will not be as good of a doctor. Mixmaster just wanted to know which schools he has a better chance at.

All of y'all made great points--that school ranking matters more to applicants than patients. However, I think the point of this thread was to ask for schools that fit a certain applicant's background. I don't think any value judgement was made on lower-tier schools. But you guys have great points b/c many applicants tend to put too much credence into U.S. News....

Originally posted by Explosivo
If you're an illinois resident, the easiest school to get into is UIC by far. Huge class size really helps and the fact that there is little competition from out-of-staters. You don't need killer stats to get in. .

good news.. i was actually wanting to go there before i heard this..

Originally posted by steiner19er
lower tier, upper tier, who cares you all become a MD in the end. I bet if you ask 100 people what school their MD went to, 98 wouldn't know. That 1 who knows probably has no clue if its low or high tier, and the last guy knows everything b/c he is pre-med, and thats all he thinks about.

My doctor's from University of Florida, that's where I really want to go!!!!:D