Low uGPA+ better Grad GPA + clinical and research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roldiaz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm wanting to pursue an MD very soon, but I don't know if I would even be considered ... for now I would like opinions if I would stand any chance of getting into any Med school in Texas. Here are my qualifications:

• 3.0 pre-req GPA
  • 30 practice MCAT
  • I have a clinical laboratory science undergrad degree (3.32 GPA upper-division)
  • Internship at Parkland Memorial Hospital/UT southwestern medical center in Dallas, Tx for rotations for undergrad degree (Chemistry, electrophoresis chemistry, hematology, bone marrow, coagulation, flow cytometry, microbiology, mycology, virology, parisitology, mycobacteriology, immunology, serology, and transfusion medicine)
  • Board certified as a Medical Laboratory Scientist through the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP). Entitlement is "MLS(ASCP)"
  • I have experience (2 years as of now) working as a Medical Laboratory Scientist in Transfusion, Clinical Chemistry, and Hematology, all at teaching facilities
  • Experience training medical students and Pathology residents in Laboratory Medicine in the above specialties
  • All training and work experience at level one trauma facilities
  • I have a Master of Science in Molecular Pathology, which was 42 credit hours in one year. Also earned this degree in one year. (3.54 GPA, non-thesis)
  • Research review article on current molecular methods for detection of HIV-1
  • Designed a molecular assay protocol for rapid detection of carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae based on blaKPC and blaNDM-1 genes. Currently under validation review for Mayo Clinic.
  • Internship/student at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN (yes, I actually do have a degree from Mayo School of Health Sciences, I paid tuition and obtained the piece of paper) with the Molecular Genetics, Molecular Virology, Bacteriology, Mycology/Mycobacteriology, and Molecular Hematology labs. Letter grade of A for entire program.
  • Board certified as a Molecular Biologist through the American Society of Clinical Pathology. Entitlement is MB(ASCP)
  • Currently working as a Research Associate in a clinical/research lab that performs and designs assays for genetic testing that involves next generation sequencing, methyl CpG studies, genetic pedigree analysis, bacterial and viral DNA/RNA identification, telomere analysis, and various genetic disease identifications (too many to list)
I feel like I have a lot of real world experience, but I am afraid that my undergrad grades will set me back. I will allow ample study time for the real MCAT, as I have been told.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a lot of clinical experience overall. If you add up my hours it comes out to over 2000 hrs exposure, with shadowing in the ER and training med students, residents, and fellows in hematology and transfusion medicine, and now molecular genetics. I do speak spanish pretty well, but wouldn't say I am fluent enough to speak it every day. And I am a Hispanic minority, US citizen. Its just 3 Cs are what are bringing down my GPA so much, I have majority Bs.

But I have strong letters of recommendation, especially from Mayo Clinic.

One more slight problem. Despite all your years in labs and academic medicine, it looks like you have never, ever been near a patient. How do we know that you want to be around them for the next 30-40 years? You need to display your humanism and altruism.

MS degrees are notorious for grade inflation, so you might have some trouble with MD schools. DO programs, you're lock for.

I think you might need to take the MCAT and try an app cycle to see how things shake out. Apply only in TX.

Hey all,

I'm wanting to pursue an MD very soon, but I don't know if I would even be considered ... for now I would like opinions if I would stand any chance of getting into any Med school in Texas. Here are my qualifications:

• 3.0 pre-req GPA
  • 30 practice MCAT
  • I have a clinical laboratory science undergrad degree (3.32 GPA upper-division)
  • Internship at Parkland Memorial Hospital/UT southwestern medical center in Dallas, Tx for rotations for undergrad degree (Chemistry, electrophoresis chemistry, hematology, bone marrow, coagulation, flow cytometry, microbiology, mycology, virology, parisitology, mycobacteriology, immunology, serology, and transfusion medicine)
  • Board certified as a Medical Laboratory Scientist through the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP). Entitlement is "MLS(ASCP)"
  • I have experience (2 years as of now) working as a Medical Laboratory Scientist in Transfusion, Clinical Chemistry, and Hematology, all at teaching facilities
  • Experience training medical students and Pathology residents in Laboratory Medicine in the above specialties
  • All training and work experience at level one trauma facilities
  • I have a Master of Science in Molecular Pathology, which was 42 credit hours in one year. Also earned this degree in one year. (3.54 GPA, non-thesis)
  • Research review article on current molecular methods for detection of HIV-1
  • Designed a molecular assay protocol for rapid detection of carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae based on blaKPC and blaNDM-1 genes. Currently under validation review for Mayo Clinic.
  • Internship/student at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN (yes, I actually do have a degree from Mayo School of Health Sciences, I paid tuition and obtained the piece of paper) with the Molecular Genetics, Molecular Virology, Bacteriology, Mycology/Mycobacteriology, and Molecular Hematology labs. Letter grade of A for entire program.
  • Board certified as a Molecular Biologist through the American Society of Clinical Pathology. Entitlement is MB(ASCP)
  • Currently working as a Research Associate in a clinical/research lab that performs and designs assays for genetic testing that involves next generation sequencing, methyl CpG studies, genetic pedigree analysis, bacterial and viral DNA/RNA identification, telomere analysis, and various genetic disease identifications (too many to list)
I feel like I have a lot of real world experience, but I am afraid that my undergrad grades will set me back. I will allow ample study time for the real MCAT, as I have been told.

Any thoughts?