low ugpa, high grad gpa chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsmemario123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so I completed my masters and did fairly well after doing poorly during undergrad because it was an engineering major and it was fairly difficult, I was hoping to get some insight of my chances would be at my school list and if there are any more you guys should think I should add? Thanks!

Overall GPA: 4.0 ggpa in a masters of arts in biomedical sciences, 2.9 ugpa in biomedical engineering so overall 3.15 gpa and 3.02 sgpa
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
22AA, 22TS
State of Residence: IL

Major: Undergrad in Biomedical Engineering, masters in biomed sciences

Minority? no
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience:
shadowed general dentist for 200 hrs
Volunteering Experience: Mission trip to south america as dental assistant about 50 hrs, volunteered through a club on campus for over 400 hrs, volunteer for a disabilities org for 75 hrs, volunteer tutor for my neighborhood over the summer (45 hrs), volunteered at a mental health disabilites clinic ( 65 hrs)
Employment: R/D intern for a startup making a website to teach kids communication skills (200 hrs), intern for a disaster relief organization (70 hrs), tutor (50 hrs)
Research: independent research looking at the development of dental bacteria growth with those that use e-cigs (150 hrs); biomedical engineering research looking at modeling drug uptake in rats with tumors (150 hrs),
Other Extracurriculars: religious club vice president/external outreach/ event coordinator (over 300 hrs), medlife fundraising committee (20 hrs), american medical student assosciation fundraising committee (30 hrs)
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list in UG 2x, deans list in masters 2x
LOR type and strength: letters from my professors whom I did research under in undergrad and masters and a letter from my pre-health advisor; fairly strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: worked on a medical device in a collaborative group for a year; also created a mathematical model to quantify dental bacterial growth in rats for one of my biomedical engineering classes
School list:
UIC
SIU
MW-IL
MW-AZ
Detroit Mercy
Boston Univeristy
Touro
NYU
LECOM

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a linkage or relationship between the masters program and any dental schools (or was the masters program a research intensive degree)? Where have graduates from your program gone for dental school?

its with a university in my home state, it was not research intensive but i did do a semester long research project; others have gone onto my state dental and medical schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi so I completed my masters and did fairly well after doing poorly during undergrad because it was an engineering major and it was fairly difficult, I was hoping to get some insight of my chances would be at my school list and if there are any more you guys should think I should add? Thanks!

Overall GPA: 4.0 ggpa in a masters of arts in biomedical sciences, 2.9 ugpa in biomedical engineering so overall 3.15 gpa and 3.02 sgpa
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
22AA, 22TS
State of Residence: IL

Major: Undergrad in Biomedical Engineering, masters in biomed sciences

Minority? no
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience:
shadowed general dentist for 200 hrs
Volunteering Experience: Mission trip to south america as dental assistant about 50 hrs, volunteered through a club on campus for over 400 hrs, volunteer for a disabilities org for 75 hrs, volunteer tutor for my neighborhood over the summer (45 hrs), volunteered at a mental health disabilites clinic ( 65 hrs)
Employment: R/D intern for a startup making a website to teach kids communication skills (200 hrs), intern for a disaster relief organization (70 hrs), tutor (50 hrs)
Research: independent research looking at the development of dental bacteria growth with those that use e-cigs (150 hrs); biomedical engineering research looking at modeling drug uptake in rats with tumors (150 hrs),
Other Extracurriculars: religious club vice president/external outreach/ event coordinator (over 300 hrs), medlife fundraising committee (20 hrs), american medical student assosciation fundraising committee (30 hrs)
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list in UG 2x, deans list in masters 2x
LOR type and strength: letters from my professors whom I did research under in undergrad and masters and a letter from my pre-health advisor; fairly strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: worked on a medical device in a collaborative group for a year; also created a mathematical model to quantify dental bacterial growth in rats for one of my biomedical engineering classes
School list:
UIC
SIU
MW-IL
MW-AZ
Detroit Mercy
Boston Univeristy
Touro
NYU
LECOM
i think you should apply to more schools to make sure you get accepted this cycle...

Reactions: 1 user
its with a university in my home state, it was not research intensive but i did do a semester long research project; others have gone onto my state dental and medical schools
Check with your upperclassmen who have gone on to dental school for more information. make sure you apply the first day its open.

it's great that you did well on your post bacc, but your overall GPA is still low

Reactions: 1 user