Low uGPA, high SMP GPA; chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junglecat16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a low chance for a MD acceptance with your stats (unless you are URM) but it would be worth applying to your Ohio MD schools (except Case). You are competitive for the majority of DO schools so apply to at least 12 (including OU-HCOM) and you should receive several interviews. Some DO schools require a DO LOR.

You have a low chance for a MD acceptance with your stats (unless you are URM) but it would be worth applying to your Ohio MD schools (except Case). You are competitive for the majority of DO schools so apply to at least 12 (including OU-HCOM) and you should receive several interviews. Some DO schools require a DO LOR.

Last edited:
This may sound a little harsh, but I would not call your D1 career an explanation for your uGPA and MCAT. I would call it evidence that you chose to prioritize the short-term over the long-term, which is not a particularly appealing characteristic in a potential physician. One is expected to walk and chew gum at the same time as a UG student.

That said, your MCAT is lethal for MD schools, and merely OK for DO. You'd probably get rejected from mine and several others. Hence, a retake is definitely in order if you're boning for MD schools.

I'm planning on retaking the MCAT, and I think I should do substantially better. I'm hoping that my SMP results show that my undergrad GPA and first MCAT were more a result of having limited time to study, rather than my ability to learn the material.

Reactions: 1 user
This may sound a little harsh, but I would not call your D1 career an explanation for your uGPA and MCAT. I would call it evidence that you chose to prioritize the short-term over the long-term, which is not a particularly appealing characteristic in a potential physician. One is expected to walk and chew gum at the same time as a UG student.

That said, your MCAT is lethal for MD schools, and merely OK for DO. You'd probably get rejected from mine and several others. Hence, a retake is definitely in order if you're boning for MD schools.

Last edited: