Low undergrad GPA, high post-bac GPA, high DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhodophyte

Pre-Dental
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I've been reading SDN for months but just created an account. I'm applying this cycle for the 1st time and feeling extremely nervous because of my low GPA so thought I'd reached out to people who are in the same boat. :)
Truthfully, I've been feeling a bit hopeless after reading tons of posts about similar situations+pity+, but before I go into my melodramatic mood again, let me describe my situation...

I started out a Bio major because I love science subjects but wasn't sure what I wanted to do. So for awhile, I tried different things and lacked the necessary focus and direction to do well. I thought to myself maybe science wasn't for me so I ended up changing my major to Business and graduated with honor (but my cGPA was 2.7 because of previous coursework) and found an IT job in a large corporate. I worked there for 2 years, having 2 promotions but felt that the job lacked the long-term fulfillment so I made a bold decision to quit my job in 2013 and re-enroll at my undergrad university to get a post-bac/second degree in Biochem. Long story short, a few months after going back to school, I started to explore different options in science and healthcare and decided to pursue dentistry.

It's been 2 years since I quit my job. I completed 60+ science credit hours in upper level Bio/Biochem courses and a few pre-reqs I needed to retake. I just graduated again last semester with a 3.75 post-bac GPA but could only pulled both of my cGPA and sGPA up to exactly 3.0 so far (because I already had like 200+ credit hours in undergrad so every A earned only increased my GPA ~0.005 or something :penguin:). My bcpGPA is 3.33

I also worked 20-40 hours a week at the IT department at my school to support myself, volunteered in one of my professors' cancer research lab as an undergraduate research assistant for ~350 hours, completed 300+ dental volunteering/shadowing. I recently just got a job as a dental assistant at one of the dental clinics that I did shadowing. All these professors/mentors that I asked for recommendations were very responsive and I believed they wrote great ones.

After about 2 months studying 4 to 12+ hours a day (I have work 3 days a week at the dental clinic), I took the DAT on Aug. 3rd for the first time and scored high (thought I was dreaming when the test result popped up on the screen, almost came to tears! :bigtears:)

PAT-24; QR-22; RC-26; Bio-28; GChem-27; Ochem-23; TS-25; AA-25
ztsnxd.jpg

I finished my application back in the last week of June and a lot of schools on my list (26 schools! I have FAP waiver but it's still ALOT of money :dead:) have gotten my AADSAS application and requested the supplemental materials. I'm completing them as fast as I can. Some of them are just waiting for the official DAT report.

I heard many said a high DAT wouldn't compensate for a low GPA but I'm still clinging onto the hope that adcoms will look at my application as a whole and see other positive aspects and the genuine efforts I have put forth in the past 2 years. If I don't get in this cycle, I would consider some more post-bac classes or perhaps a 1-year master's. I would be a little devastated and disheartened to be honest but I've heard so many stories where people tried so hard but didn't make it. I know I'm not alone. Just hoping for the best and preparing for the worst, crossing my fingers for myself and all of those who are in the same boat! :luck:

If you come across this post, feel free to leave any advice/thoughts/constructive criticism...and thanks for reading my long long story!:joyful:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
your good brother. interview well.

You are totally set. Don't worry! :thumbup:

My brother had similar scores and followed a similar path and is at Columbia dental now!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are totally set. Don't worry! :thumbup:

My brother had similar scores and followed a similar path and is at Columbia dental now!
I like Columbia but thought my chance was slim so I didn't apply. After taking my DAT, I flew home and applied to Columbia the next day. People told me they like high DAT and research so I took a shot. Thank you for your encouraging words!

You will be okay! You should post a DAT breakdown of how you prepared!! Awesome scores, great story

You will be okay! You should post a DAT breakdown of how you prepared!! Awesome scores, great story
Thank you, I was going to do that after completing the secondary applications. DAT breakdowns on SDN helped me a lot in preparing for this exam.

Thank you, I was going to do that after completing the secondary applications. DAT breakdowns on SDN helped me a lot in preparing for this exam.
hopefully it's up before my test those are great scores!

Yeah, people like you are huge inspirations for low gpa folks like me. You did a great job with the post bac GPA, killed the DAT, and you extra curriculars are spot on. Adcoms look at the total application. The overall candidate. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Your DAT scores more than make up for the grades. Like others have said if you are even halfway decent in your interviews you will likely get to choose your school. Congrats!

And IMO you are wasting a TON of money applying to 26 schools; I think that you should have a bit more confidence in your resume!

Hello, I've been reading SDN for months but just created an account. I'm applying this cycle for the 1st time and feeling extremely nervous because of my low GPA so thought I'd reached out to people who are in the same boat. :)
Truthfully, I've been feeling a bit hopeless after reading tons of posts about similar situations+pity+, but before I go into my melodramatic mood again, let me describe my situation...

I started out a Bio major because I love science subjects but wasn't sure what I wanted to do. So for awhile, I tried different things and lacked the necessary focus and direction to do well. I thought to myself maybe science wasn't for me so I ended up changing my major to Business and graduated with honor (but my cGPA was 2.7 because of previous coursework) and found an IT job in a large corporate. I worked there for 2 years, having 2 promotions but felt that the job lacked the long-term fulfillment so I made a bold decision to quit my job in 2013 and re-enroll at my undergrad university to get a post-bac/second degree in Biochem. Long story short, a few months after going back to school, I started to explore different options in science and healthcare and decided to pursue dentistry.

It's been 2 years since I quit my job. I completed 60+ science credit hours in upper level Bio/Biochem courses and a few pre-reqs I needed to retake. I just graduated again last semester with a 3.75 post-bac GPA but could only pulled both of my cGPA and sGPA up to exactly 3.0 so far (because I already had like 200+ credit hours in undergrad so every A earned only increased my GPA ~0.005 or something :penguin:). My bcpGPA is 3.33

I also worked 20-40 hours a week at the IT department at my school to support myself, volunteered in one of my professors' cancer research lab as an undergraduate research assistant for ~350 hours, completed 300+ dental volunteering/shadowing. I recently just got a job as a dental assistant at one of the dental clinics that I did shadowing. All these professors/mentors that I asked for recommendations were very responsive and I believed they wrote great ones.

After about 2 months studying 4 to 12+ hours a day (I have work 3 days a week at the dental clinic), I took the DAT on Aug. 3rd for the first time and scored high (thought I was dreaming when the test result popped up on the screen, almost came to tears! :bigtears:)

PAT-24; QR-22; RC-26; Bio-28; GChem-27; Ochem-23; TS-25; AA-25
ztsnxd.jpg

I finished my application back in the last week of June and a lot of schools on my list (26 schools! I have FAP waiver but it's still ALOT of money :dead:) have gotten my AADSAS application and requested the supplemental materials. I'm completing them as fast as I can. Some of them are just waiting for the official DAT report.

I heard many said a high DAT wouldn't compensate for a low GPA but I'm still clinging onto the hope that adcoms will look at my application as a whole and see other positive aspects and the genuine efforts I have put forth in the past 2 years. If I don't get in this cycle, I would consider some more post-bac classes or perhaps a 1-year master's. I would be a little devastated and disheartened to be honest but I've heard so many stories where people tried so hard but didn't make it. I know I'm not alone. Just hoping for the best and preparing for the worst, crossing my fingers for myself and all of those who are in the same boat! :luck:

If you come across this post, feel free to leave any advice/thoughts/constructive criticism...and thanks for reading my long long story!:joyful:

In life we are meant to mature.....

To learn....

And to become....

With that said, if htis was your personal statement, I would want to get to know you more....

It ain't easy.... You did some of the hardest stuff possible, and still going forward....

.005 ain't much, but still going up....

Be good to your patients, and share your story...

Reactions: 3 users
Your DAT scores more than make up for the grades. Like others have said if you are even halfway decent in your interviews you will likely get to choose your school. Congrats!

And IMO you are wasting a TON of money applying to 26 schools; I think that you should have a bit more confidence in your resume!

Yes, it's a huge financial setback for me. Many who know my situation said the same thing! It's definitely a learning experience for me as I tend to over-worry about the things I really care about. However, I also considered the fact that my file at many schools won't be complete until mid to late August when they release the official DAT scores. I emailed the unofficial scores to schools that accept them and try to find another part-time job for now.

Yes, it's a huge financial setback for me. Many who know my situation said the same thing! It's definitely a learning experience for me as I tend to over-worry about the things I really care about. However, I also considered the fact that my file at many schools won't be complete until mid to late August when they release the official DAT scores. I emailed the unofficial scores to schools that accept them and try to find another part-time job for now.

Have you considered substitute teaching?

I considered tutoring. Where do you suggest I start preparing for a subtitute teaching job?

I noticed you are from TX too!
If you go to the administration building of your high school, they should have a packet for you to fill out. Thats what they do at my ISD. They approve you at the next board meeting and I think you can pick where you can substitute. I believe at my school you get like 50 or 60 dollars a day.

I noticed you are from TX too!
If you go to the administration building of your high school, they should have a packet for you to fill out. Thats what they do at my ISD. They approve you at the next board meeting and I think you can pick where you can substitute. I believe at my school you get like 50 or 60 dollars a day.
Wow! Thanks for the tip, my Texan fellow! I will definitely look into that. I sure will enjoy teaching/tutoring a lot more than becoming an Uber driver, which my friend suggested a few days ago LOL (I'm directionless)

Wow! Thanks for the tip, my Texan fellow! I will definitely look into that. I sure will enjoy teaching/tutoring a lot more than becoming an Uber driver, which my friend suggested a few days ago LOL (I'm directionless)

You bet man!! I believe one of the SDN members, cacajuate landed a 50k job teaching hs science. 3 weeks to get teaching certificate.

Your DAT score is phenomenal, I don't see why you shouldn't get interviews to at least half of the applied schools