Low UnderGrad GPA - What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbllchmpn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a pre-med student at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst pursuing a double degree in accounting and psychology. I'm going to be a senior this fall and am on pace to graduate with a cumulative GPA of 3.4X. I'm not quite sure how science GPA is calculated but the way I did it is I only accounted for the courses I have taken that would be considered part of the College of Natural Sciences at my school(even courses that I haven't taken at UMass). Using that method, I'm on pace to have a sGPA of 3.3X. I'm planning on taking the MCAT in January so I won't be able to apply for Med School but should I apply to an SMP program(Boston University)? What are my chances of getting into those(provided I earn 28+ on the MCAT)? I'm thinking that an SMP will increase my chances given that I earn a much higher PostBac GPA and do well on the MCAT. Also, it will buy me more time to add volunteer hours and possibly research hours as I don't have much of those, either.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a pre-med student at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst pursuing a double degree in accounting and psychology. I'm going to be a senior this fall and am on pace to graduate with a cumulative GPA of 3.4X. I'm not quite sure how science GPA is calculated but the way I did it is I only accounted for the courses I have taken that would be considered part of the College of Natural Sciences at my school(even courses that I haven't taken at UMass). Using that method, I'm on pace to have a sGPA of 3.3X. I'm planning on taking the MCAT in January so I won't be able to apply for Med School but should I apply to an SMP program(Boston University)? What are my chances of getting into those(provided I earn 28+ on the MCAT)? I'm thinking that an SMP will increase my chances given that I earn a much higher PostBac GPA and do well on the MCAT. Also, it will buy me more time to add volunteer hours and possibly research hours as I don't have much of those, either.
Most post-baccs have a minimum GPA requirement of 3.0. It seems like you will end with a much higher GPA and if you do get a 28+ on your MCAT, you will definitely be able to get into BU's post bacc. I think you definitely want to build up your ec's but a friend of mine told me that the BU post bacc is pretty tough. You definitely can't mess up at post-bacc but if you manage your time well, you should be fine. Good luck!