Low undergrad GPA with post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dillinjl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an undergrad GPA just over 3.0 I graduated with a Bachelors in Business Administration. I am currently taking my pre reqs at Harvard Extension School and plan to earn a GPA of 3.7-4.0 But even with those 32 credit hours at near 4.0 I can only raise my cgpa to 3.1 So I am wondering, will my post bacc grades make that much of a difference or will the ad com see the overall 3.1 and not look any further? Will I have to score extremely high on the mcat to even have a chance? (i am thinking a score of 30 would be about what I am capable of) I am interested in DO schools and want to practice primary care in rural and undeserved communities, which is where this country needs physicians the most. If I made my career goals clear in my personal statement could that help my application if I apply to the right school, or will my low ugpa mean I only have a chance at Caribbean schools?

thanks for your advice!
Josh

Members don't see this ad.

Search on "low gpa" in this forum, the reapplicant forum, and the postbac forum. In particular, the nontrad FAQ thread (at the top of the forum) has links to lots of great low GPA threads.

Summary: you can't put GPA redemption on a schedule. 1 year is probably not enough, from a 3.0, to get into a US MD school. Find out what SMPs are. Yes you need to be above average on the MCAT to counter a low cumulative. No you should not be thinking Carib, but you might want to consider DO.

Best of luck to you.