Low Undergrad Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starstar

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This forum has been really helpful to me, esp. the pages where people list their stats. I'd like to have some advice on what to do in the case of low grades. My overall and science GPA's are adequate, I think. However, I received a D in Orgo II and also in Biochem. Are these even acceptable? Can I retake them? Should I take some other courses now? Help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The D's are definitely unacceptable. However, you should be able to repeat the classes and I encourage you to do so. Some schools will take an average of your 2 grades and other schools will actually give you---your latest repeat grade. Check your school's specifics on repeating classes.

I feel if you repeat the courses----do well---and then perform well on the DAT---you'll have a shot! Good luck.

R.R.B

You definitely need to do over those two classes especially orgo 11. Make sure you get A's this time and you will redeem yourself. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Dr.2b.

I also did not do too well in undergrad Biochem and Physics II. During the interviews (NYU and Columbia), these grades were discussed. however, I did take Biochem again in grad school and received "A" and I explain to them that I could handle the material. Fortunately, I was accepted to those schools.

Good luck.

I have heard people saying that some schools
average or take the higher grades if you repeat a course. How do you find out? Does it show up on the computer application?
Thanks,
Tim.
wwjd?

If both grades, original and repeat appear on your transcript and thus on your ADSAAS application, both are averaged in with all your other grades. D grades will be seen on the application. D grades in any course PREREQUISITE fo admission MUST be repeated; C- is the lowest acceptable grade in such courses.