low usmle score, coming from DO school--chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharpie1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm writing for my friend, applying from DO school, 206 on the usmle, would like a residency around the NYC area, something like LIJ... does anyone know what hospitals in the NYC area expect to see from DO students? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm writing for my friend, applying from DO school, 206 on the usmle, would like a residency around the NYC area, something like LIJ... does anyone know what hospitals in the NYC area expect to see from DO students? Thanks

I don't know about that specific program at all but that is not an awful score for a psychiatry program. You will be right in the mix. You have a slight advantage as a DO. You are an american graduate that can Pre-Match.

A lot will also have to do with your LORs, how you did in your psychiatry rotation and most importantly how you present yourself once you get your foot in the door. Do an elective at the program and wow them.

what about for a caribbean grad?

Members don't see this ad :)
For DO students: Look at the average stats of US MD students and try to beat them by a little. Plenty of DO's at Vanderbilt when I interviewed, so they aren't restricted very much.

IMG's seemed to have it MUCH more difficult. I saw VERY few IMG's across the southern programs I interviewed at, and I believe southern programs are easier to get into vs NE area.

DO's, for the most part, are respected and accepted with open arms in MOST psychiatry programs. The NYC programs tends to still be resistant, along with some of the Ivy League schools. However, I've seen multiple DO's in a single class occur over the past two years at places like UCLA and PIT. My program, which has a strong and respected history, just matched with a slew of DO's (higher-mid tier program).

Thank you to all of yours' advice. NJ, it seems as if you have some experience in the NY/NJ/CT area. What would you say are some quality DO friendly programs?

I would look into UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson (Piscataway/New Brunswick, NJ). They are very DO friendly and you wouldn't have to deal with the hustle/bustle and expensive lifestyle of Manhattan.