MD in 2009

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
37
0
Status
I found out I got accepted to Rosalind Franklin on monday and just received my Creighton acceptance letter in the mail today!

After months and months of waiting, I got 2 acceptances within 3 days!


I want all of you guys with LOW VERBAL MCAT scores to know that it is still possible to get multiple acceptances! I got a 7 in VR and I thought I didn't have a chance, but I'm a living proof that some schools will consider your ENTIRE applcation and not just this one section. So, have faith and keep on truckin' !
 

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
1,028
1
Status
MD2009, congrats!!!!! That's totally awesome, you deserve it! Now you can relax, do whatever you want until school starts! Enjoy the next few months, and good luck this Fall! :clap: :thumbup:
 

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
1,028
1
Status
Forgot to ask....so where do you think you're headed now?
 
About the Ads

ZAZA67401

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
218
0
Miami
Status
Where you waitlisted at all, first? What was your Mcat? Sorry I asked this on the other thread too, but figured if I posted it both places you would probably see it. Thank you for the optimism too! and congratulations!!!
 
OP
M

MD in 2009

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
37
0
Status
Blue Scrub said:
Forgot to ask....so where do you think you're headed now?

I guess I need to look at the Fin Aid offer before deciding. But, I'm definitely leaning towards Creighton. I love the facilities, their curriculum, and most of all -- the ppl there are EXTREMELY nice.
 
OP
M

MD in 2009

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
37
0
Status
ZAZA67401 said:
Where you waitlisted at all, first? What was your Mcat? Sorry I asked this on the other thread too, but figured if I posted it both places you would probably see it. Thank you for the optimism too! and congratulations!!!

I got a 7, 12, 12. So, a total of 31. I wasn't waitlisted, it was a straight acceptance! :)
 

domukin

Mastermind
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
218
1
Status
Wow, what a fluke, 5 point difference. Congrats :thumbup:
 

fullefect1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
790
0
34
Mass
Status
do you have mdapplicants.com profile? If not, I bet you there would be alot of people who would be interesting in seeing one.
 

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
333
0
Status
Can I ask the OP his GPA? PLease?
Thanks
 

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
1,028
1
Status
MD in 2009 said:
I guess I need to look at the Fin Aid offer before deciding. But, I'm definitely leaning towards Creighton. I love the facilities, their curriculum, and most of all -- the ppl there are EXTREMELY nice.
I liked Creighton when I visited...super nice school and facilities, and yes, the people were really nice there....this is a serious question, dont mean at all to offend you, but are you foreign? Is English your first language?
 

Calizona

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
78
2
Status
Congrats MD in 2009! I also recently got into Rosalind Franklin, but with a 6 verbal. I guess it goes to show that applicants with low verbal scores are not completely out of luck. I'm sure it would've helped my application to raise it though :) Good Luck to all the fellow low verbal applicants
 

sweetpeamd09

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
146
0
Status
Congrats MD in 2009 :D ..best of luck to you! :luck:
 
About the Ads

Inquiringmind24

"The fact man"
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
273
0
39
Chicago, IL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I too got a 7 in VR, but a 10 in BS and 10 in PS (3.55 GPA). This didn't even get me any interviews at allopathic programs, including RFU/CMS. But that's okay since I got accepted to a couple of osteopathic programs and will be attending the one of my choice which I am really excited about. It seems that whatever cut admissions people make to grant interviews at allo programs, I think I fell just a little short of that. Enough of the MCAT, I'm just glad I never have to take that blasted test ever again!
 
OP
M

MD in 2009

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
37
0
Status
My overall and BCPM GPA is around a 3.8. Even with my above average grades, many people have discouraged me to apply this year and repeatedly told me to retake the MCAT. I'm sure this is a good advice, but I took a chance and applied anyway because I HATED the MCAT and never wanted to see that test again.

It sucks for people with low verbal scores to hear that they dont' have a chance of acceptance because this one score. I just want tell everyone that this is only speculation. Having gone through the admission process, I can tell you that there are so many things that can be done to give you a competitive edge in the process even with your low score (ie. volunteer experiences, shadowing, research, etc.). Of course, if you are aiming for the top 10 schools or UCs (if you're from california), then that 7 may have an adverse affect on your application. But, if your heart is set on an MD and you're willing to go to any US allopathic school -- I'm telling you here and now that you still have a chance! You might just have to work a little harder in other areas and make yourself standout from the rest of the applicants.

PS. I'm not a foreign student, but English is my second language.
 

YzIa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
812
1
Status
MD in 2009 said:
PS. I'm not a foreign student, but English is my second language.
Not to ruin the buzz, but I think English being your second language is a BIG deal when considering a low VR score.
 

Calizona

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
78
2
Status
YzIa said:
Not to ruin the buzz, but I think English being your second language is a BIG deal when considering a low VR score.
I disagree. I was not ESL with my 6 verbal, but just had a really tough time with the verbal section. I even took the exam again and still got a 6. I had A's in almost all my non-science courses, my writing sample was an R, and most of my extracurriculars included me teaching/leading other people. I think schools will like to see that you can communicate with other people. In my opinion I believe that the VR section is unpredictable. I still question how well it determines a student's ability to proceed in med school and do well on the USMLEs. Any thoughts?
 

ZAZA67401

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
218
0
Miami
Status
Calizona said:
I disagree. I was not ESL with my 6 verbal, but just had a really tough time with the verbal section. I even took the exam again and still got a 6. I had A's in almost all my non-science courses, my writing sample was an R, and most of my extracurriculars included me teaching/leading other people. I think schools will like to see that you can communicate with other people. In my opinion I believe that the VR section is unpredictable. I still question how well it determines a student's ability to proceed in med school and do well on the USMLEs. Any thoughts?
Do you live on the border of Arizona and California?
 

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
2,697
10
In a world all my own.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
MD in 2009 said:
I guess I need to look at the Fin Aid offer before deciding. But, I'm definitely leaning towards Creighton. I love the facilities, their curriculum, and most of all -- the ppl there are EXTREMELY nice.
OMAHA! cool..

Good luck
 

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
577
0
Caleefornia
Status
MD in 2009 said:
My overall and BCPM GPA is around a 3.8. Even with my above average grades, many people have discouraged me to apply this year and repeatedly told me to retake the MCAT. I'm sure this is a good advice, but I took a chance and applied anyway because I HATED the MCAT and never wanted to see that test again.

It sucks for people with low verbal scores to hear that they dont' have a chance of acceptance because this one score. I just want tell everyone that this is only speculation. Having gone through the admission process, I can tell you that there are so many things that can be done to give you a competitive edge in the process even with your low score (ie. volunteer experiences, shadowing, research, etc.). Of course, if you are aiming for the top 10 schools or UCs (if you're from california), then that 7 may have an adverse affect on your application. But, if your heart is set on an MD and you're willing to go to any US allopathic school -- I'm telling you here and now that you still have a chance! You might just have to work a little harder in other areas and make yourself standout from the rest of the applicants.

PS. I'm not a foreign student, but English is my second language.
Congrats on getting in! :D

From the sound of things, it seems that the 7VR was probably the low point in your application. In fact, everything else (your science scores, activities, etc.) seem to be excellent.

If you had retaken and scored better, methinks you could have had an opportunity to interview at some top 10s...
 

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
1,028
1
Status
YzIa said:
Not to ruin the buzz, but I think English being your second language is a BIG deal when considering a low VR score.
Thanks for answering...that's exactly why I asked...not to take any of your shine away because you deserve all of it....but I was just wondering because I think if adcoms know that English may not have been your first language, that it may let them be a little more lenient with a lower VR score in some cases....I just mention this because i have a few friends who have been in the US for awhile, went to college here, but it is obvious that English was not their first language, prob by their strong accents...as we studied for the MCAT, they always struggled in the verbal section, and im pretty sure they didnt score higher than an 8 in VR if that, but scored very well in both sciences....and my friends were accepted to a few MD programs and are currently M1's at their schools....if adcoms know that English is your first language, you've studied in the states for a long time, etc., I think it adcoms really raise the red flag with anything lower than maybe an 8 in any section....what does everyone else think?
 
OP
M

MD in 2009

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
37
0
Status
Blue Scrub said:
Thanks for answering...that's exactly why I asked...not to take any of your shine away because you deserve all of it....but I was just wondering because I think if adcoms know that English may not have been your first language, that it may let them be a little more lenient with a lower VR score in some cases....I just mention this because i have a few friends who have been in the US for awhile, went to college here, but it is obvious that English was not their first language, prob by their strong accents...as we studied for the MCAT, they always struggled in the verbal section, and im pretty sure they didnt score higher than an 8 in VR if that, but scored very well in both sciences....and my friends were accepted to a few MD programs and are currently M1's at their schools....if adcoms know that English is your first language, you've studied in the states for a long time, etc., I think it adcoms really raise the red flag with anything lower than maybe an 8 in any section....what does everyone else think?

I started learning English around 8 years old. I speak fluently and don't have any foreign accents. During one of my interviews, my interviewer was even shocked that English was my second language because I didn't have a foreign accent. I have been in the US since I was 8 and now I am 23. So, I guess it may raise some red flags, but I believe the adcoms may have overlook that due to other stronger points on my app.

Anyway...I just made this thread to encourage others who are in a similar situation as myself. Of course, there are also randomness in the process and also your luck. So, for all those other ppl who are accepted -- congrats, we're gonna be MDs!!!! :thumbup: and for those who are still waiting -- I wish you the best of luck! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Also, happy early St. Patrick's Day!
 

Loco Loki

The quick for you!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
209
0
33
The Galactic Core
Status
When did you interview by the way?

Oh yeah, and where do you come from, heh.
 
OP
M

MD in 2009

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
37
0
Status
Loco Loki said:
When did you interview by the way?

Oh yeah, and where do you come from, heh.

2/18 and I'm from CA. Why do u ask?
 

Loco Loki

The quick for you!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
209
0
33
The Galactic Core
Status
MD in 2009 said:
2/18 and I'm from CA. Why do u ask?
Country I mean, just curious.

Also, I interviewed 2/25 and got waitlisted; they said all their seats were full and that the best would be us just getting waitlist or rejected.
 

blessed1

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2000
70
0
Maryland, USA
Visit site
Status
MD in 2009 said:
I found out I got accepted to Rosalind Franklin on monday and just received my Creighton acceptance letter in the mail today!

After months and months of waiting, I got 2 acceptances within 3 days!


I want all of you guys with LOW VERBAL MCAT scores to know that it is still possible to get multiple acceptances! I got a 7 in VR and I thought I didn't have a chance, but I'm a living proof that some schools will consider your ENTIRE applcation and not just this one section. So, have faith and keep on truckin' !
Congrats on your acceptances!
I am not quite sure, what school is Rosalind Franklin?
Thanks! :)
 
OP
M

MD in 2009

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
37
0
Status
Loco Loki said:
Country I mean, just curious.

Also, I interviewed 2/25 and got waitlisted; they said all their seats were full and that the best would be us just getting waitlist or rejected.
Taiwan.

Wow. I guess I got one of the last straight out acceptance spots then?? But, for Creighton, I hear there's a lot of waitlist movement. So, just be patient! I'm sure you'll get in soon. :)
 

kc123

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
178
0
Visit site
Status
Congratulations! I, too, got in with low verbal scores--7 in verbal on my first MCAT(8 in verbal on my second MCAT).....English is my first language! Was not a fan of that section, but I think it's also because I was focused on the sciences, and took the verbal section for granted (thinking it would be a strength)!! Anyhow, the MCAT is only one part of your application. My GPA was 3.7, lots of ECs, work experience, etc. It definitely can be done!
 
OP
M

MD in 2009

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
37
0
Status
blessed1 said:
Congrats on your acceptances!
I am not quite sure, what school is Rosalind Franklin?
Thanks! :)

It was called Finch University or Chicago Medical School before, but they changed their name last year (i think).
 

Loco Loki

The quick for you!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
209
0
33
The Galactic Core
Status
MD in 2009 said:
Taiwan.

Wow. I guess I got one of the last straight out acceptance spots then?? But, for Creighton, I hear there's a lot of waitlist movement. So, just be patient! I'm sure you'll get in soon. :)
Heh, thanks for the hope man, and thanks for answering my Q's. Congrats on your acceptances, hey, maybe I'll see you there?
 

CharlieVN

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
129
0
36
Visit site
Status
:cool: Congrats to the OP!!!

Respect for the VR 7's. I have a VR7 and 29 overall (ESL too but the real reason was I didn't read enough Dr. Suess as a child...) and am currently in at 3 places...Guess a little luck and prayers to higher beings can help :D
 

Friendly

Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
312
18
37
California, USA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
7 in VR (and one other section :eek: ) Non-URM. Late applicant. In at two allopathic schools out of three interviews so far. Be encouraged - anything is possible if you have what they're looking for that year.
 
About the Ads