Low verbal score of 7 what are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pyrogenic

AquaticHygieneTechnician
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 31O on my mcat, I took it twice and both times I got a 7 on verbal :scared:
But got a 13 in bs and 11 in ps

3.54 cGPA and 3.64sGPA

Shadowed a doctor for about two years
Tutored / TAed
and did research for 2 years

Im getting a masters in bio this year.

Im applying MD primary just got verified a few days ago

What are my chances? any help is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

What is your state of residence? Did the undergrad grades show an upward trend in the last 2-3 years? What is your masters GPA? (I'm assuming the GPAs provided are undergrad only.)

Do you have some clinical experience where you interact with sick people rather than passively observe?

I got a 31O on my mcat, I took it twice and both times I got a 7 on verbal :scared:
But got a 13 in bs and 11 in ps

3.54 cGPA and 3.64sGPA

Shadowed a doctor for about two years
Tutored / TAed
and did research for 2 years

Im getting a masters in bio this year.

Im applying MD primary just got verified a few days ago

What are my chances? any help is appreciated

All things being equal, I think you still have a fair shot at MD school (~50%). What is your state school? Are you ugrad english grades good? What were your practice VR scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your state of residence? Did the undergrad grades show an upward trend in the last 2-3 years? What is your masters GPA? (I'm assuming the GPAs provided are undergrad only.)

Do you have some clinical experience where you interact with sick people rather than passively observe?

Im from CA
I will be doing my masters this year, so the med schools prob won't see it since I am applying right now.
I didn't get to really interact with sick people too much, I wrote a research paper for the doctor I shadowed, but that hasn't been published yet...

as far as my GPA, there wasn't much of a trend, mainly Bs and As

Last edited:
All things being equal, I think you still have a fair shot at MD school (~50%). What is your state school? Are you ugrad english grades good? What were your practice VR scores?

My undergrad english grades were Bs

and practice VR scores were about 9s

and thanks for the help guys!

Unfortunately, you're not from a state with a school having a bottom tenth percentile for VS of 7, so your overall odds are possibly lower than the ~60% that AllApplicant stats tables suggest for those with your numbers. (Decicco is likely right on the money.) Look for schools like Rosalind Franklin and UIC that are more lenient with a low VS. And also apply to schools that don't regard subscores, like Commonwealth in Pa and EVMS, besides those that don't publish a minimum cutoff, like FIU and Oakland.

I'd suggest getting some active clinical experience started that you can report on via update letters through the application cycle.

Unfortunately, you're not from a state with a school having a bottom tenth percentile for VS of 7, so your overall odds are possibly lower than the ~60% that AllApplicant stats tables suggest for those with your numbers. (Decicco is likely right on the money.) Look for schools like Rosalind Franklin and UIC that are more lenient with a low VS. And also apply to schools that don't regard subscores, like Commonwealth in Pa and EVMS, besides those that don't publish a minimum cutoff, like FIU and Oakland.

I'd suggest getting some active clinical experience started that you can report on via update letters through the application cycle.

Hi Catalystic,
Hope this finds you well... Question for you. My state school's bottom 10th percentile VR is 8. Does that mean if I scored any lower than that, I'm automatically weeded out? Or does that mean that MAYBE 1-2 people have gotten slightly lower than 8? Thanks for your help. Retaking the MCAT in the Spring but am applying to 1 school this year because who knows... my BS and PS scores are on par with that school's median. And my writing score is above average than their median, not sure if any of that would help with the low VR score. Thanks.

My state school's bottom 10th percentile VR is 8. Does that mean if I scored any lower than that, I'm automatically weeded out? Or does that mean that MAYBE 1-2 people have gotten slightly lower than 8? Thanks for your help. Retaking the MCAT in the Spring but am applying to 1 school this year because who knows... my BS and PS scores are on par with that school's median. And my writing score is above average than their median, not sure if any of that would help with the low VR score.
The MSAR does not list the bottom 1st-9th percential figures for acceptees to each school. The 10th percentile does not represent a sharp cutoff below which one has no chance, but it does mean that very few are accepted with those lower numbers. Those few are likely to be those with applications extraordinary in every other respect, or those with special circumstances. Thus, even if one's number is lower than the bottom tenth percentile, one still has a chance.