Low writing score, high verbal score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palaver87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got a K on the MCAT writing section but a 13 on the verbal section (as well as As in my literature classes). I made sure my personal statements were well-written.

I am wondering if

1. any schools auto-screen out based on your writing scores, such as the UC's

2. my low writing score is worth mentioning in secondaries

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I got a K on the MCAT writing section but a 13 on the verbal section (as well as As in my literature classes). I made sure my personal statements were well-written.

I am wondering if

Thank you

A similar thing happened to me. 10 on verbal M on writing IIRC. I dont think any schools really care about the writing section too much. The writing section is too subjective IMO

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if

Thank you

I don't think any US schools care at all. Some Canadian schools consider the writing section I think...

Members don't see this ad :)
agree that i don't think it will be that big of an issue for most schools (may be an issue at some top 20's) if your other essays at least show you have some ability for communicating. your graders must have been pissed off that day or something with a verbal like that

I don't think any US schools care at all. Some Canadian schools consider the writing section I think...
This is correct, in fact I think some Canadian schools actually have a cut-off for writing sample.

If you really think it's a mistake, you could request a rescoring.

The writing sample is only used to further burn your mind out for the bio section. If you score unbalanced and bio is the low guy, medschools know you can't take the rigors of medschool studying.
Consequentially, because the writing samples don't matter, they just assign a random letter as a grade for closure.

The writing sample is only used to further burn your mind out for the bio section. If you score unbalanced and bio is the low guy, medschools know you can't take the rigors of medschool studying.
Consequentially, because the writing samples don't matter, they just assign a random letter as a grade for closure.

Sources please?

Several hundred files examined in depth every year and I've never seen a writing score be a deal breaker.

I even interviewed an Ivy League English major with a piss poor writing score. Of course, I had to ask, "What's up with that?" and we had a good laugh. Sometimes these things are inexplicable.

Holy crap! Isn't that the lowest score? And you did so well on the verbal section? Damn.

I got an M and I got in. Not once did anyone even mention the M in my interviews (I had something like 16 interviews total). Most people just said my overall MCAT, a 32, was pretty good. I honestly expected one of them to ask about it but it never came up.

I'd come up with a reason for the K just in case. Figure out what you think you did. But don't mention it unless the interviewer asks. My understanding of the writing section is that most adcoms only really look at it if you are dead even with another candidate. So basically it's unlikely anyone will ever pay attention to it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Several hundred files examined in depth every year and I've never seen a writing score be a deal breaker.

I even interviewed an Ivy League English major with a piss poor writing score. Of course, I had to ask, "What's up with that?" and we had a good laugh. Sometimes these things are inexplicable.

Can't get a more verifiable source than this.

I look at the writing section as a break between reading MCAT passages.

Legitimate question in my book. Sounds like you just made that crap up, and I'm assuming you're not an insider.

Uh, I think by "really?", he meant to say, "Wait, you guys really can't sense the sarcasm in my post?"

lol i got an 800 on my sat writing section and an O on the mcat. i don't see how anyone can take it seriously.

I was actually at an application workshop at the Univ. of Colorado, so it is specific to them. However, I doubt it varies too much from school to school.

They said that a low writing score is really no big deal if the verbal is good, the grades in writing classes are good, and the essays on the apps are good.

Since those appear to be good for you, I doubt you have much to worry about.

shouldnt AAMC be aware that the vast majority of med schools dont really care about the WS? Why do they continue to include it as is?

shouldnt AAMC be aware that the vast majority of med schools dont really care about the WS? Why do they continue to include it as is?

Beat me to it. Makes as much sense as Chewbacca living on Endor.

The only time I think a bad writing score matters is when it is paired with a bad verbal AND you are an ESL applicant.

I had a god awful writing score, a great verbal and many of my ECs were about my professional writing career. Nobody even asked about it.

Last edited:
Holy crap! Isn't that the lowest score? And you did so well on the verbal section? Damn.

I got an M and I got in. Not once did anyone even mention the M in my interviews (I had something like 16 interviews total). Most people just said my overall MCAT, a 32, was pretty good. I honestly expected one of them to ask about it but it never came up.

I'd come up with a reason for the K just in case. Figure out what you think you did. But don't mention it unless the interviewer asks. My understanding of the writing section is that most adcoms only really look at it if you are dead even with another candidate. So basically it's unlikely anyone will ever pay attention to it.

No, actually J is.

Uh, I think by "really?", he meant to say, "Wait, you guys really can't sense the sarcasm in my post?"
:thumbup:

OP, like others have already said, you shouldn't worry too much since most schools pay attention to composite score. Plus, I think your verbal score will compensate for the writing score.

While I do not have a source/proof for this personal experience has lead me to believe the writing scorers are looking for something very long and very formulaic. If you are efficient and creative it will hurt you.

that is pretty off.