Low Writing Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rapid Decomposition

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - I'm only writing this because I haven't read anything about this type of situation before. I resisted the dark side to wait for my mailed scores and I finally received them in the mail. On the scaled scores, I got a 38 (11V 14P 13B) and I am ECSTATIC to say the least.
However, my writing score was an N, which isn't awful, but it is below average and is kind of out of place next to my number scores. I did well on all of my practice ones but on the test maybe I froze up or wrote messily (I have a tendency to do that but come on, we're going to be doctors! haha). But anyway, just to make sure my intentions are clear, I'm not asking for any pity at ALL, and I'm not complaining, but I am trying to be competitive for a top 10 school (my GPA and ECs are good). Do you think this will come back to haunt me? Should I try to do anything about it (i.e. rescore request)? Thank you guys for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who had a 33L, and she was never even asked about it. She currently attends Baylor (out-of-stater too!). Also, I think "N" is exactly average, but I could be wrong on that. The adcoms really get a sense of your writing ability in the Personal Statement, so make sure you do well on that. Good luck and congrats on the great score!

Thanks BU for your help! I should be fine - I was wondering though if any school tends to emphasize the writing sample. I haven't heard of this but maybe someone has an interview story or knows someone who was saved by writing.

i heard they only care if it is J-L or R-T - but neither conditions are really qualifiers or disqualifiers. anything in the middle is ignored it seems.
-jot

yean, someone told me n-o is like the equivalent of a 9. if you bomb it, like J or K bad, they might bring it up. If you get an R-T, it might be a small blessing.