lower first tier medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsutiger

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble designating medical schools. I already have a list of 7: Emory, Lsu-no, lsu-shreveport, university of alabama at birmingham, wake forest, university of virginia, georgetown. I have a 29mcat and a 3.99gpa. Any other ideas of well reputable schools that are preferably in the southeast or east coast?

Members don't see this ad.

No offense, but I don't view the schools you have listed as being lower tiered (especially Emory, UAB, UVA, and Wake).

If you are an out-of-state resident, UAB won't look at you with an MCAT score of less than a 30. In addition, correct me if I am wrong, but the Louisisana state schools take very few if any out-of-state residents. You may wish to check the MSAR.

I am not trying to burst your bubble. I would apply to as many schools as you wish. After all, much of this application process is a crap shot in the long run. Good luck in your application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be hard for you to get into UVa with a 29 on the MCAT unless you are a VA resident. You will have a good shot at LSU if you are from LA.

f you are an alabama resident or La resident then you are looking good for UAB or LSU(either one). If you are a virginia resident though, you're going to have to sweat it out with UVA and hope the 29/3.99 is enough.

I wouldn't apply to any state schools(like UAB, LSU) that you aren't a resident of with a 29. Apply to schools like MCV, EVMS, and Tulane if you want to add schools aside from your state school.

Unless you are a louisiana resident do not bother applying to LSU schools. They only take louisiana residents. The only exception is if one of your parents is an alumni.

Baylor is not exactly in the southeast, but it's a tight med school.

Originally posted by Dr2007
Baylor is not exactly in the southeast, but it's a tight med school.

It could be because its my top choice, but I dont consider it "lower first tier." I mean, its middle of the pack first tier at worst.

But remember, Baylor accepts about 75% in-state.