lower GPA - 28R MCAT - Graduating Senior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gkram2345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA - 3.2, sGPA - 3.4
MCAT - 28R - probably will retake, try for 30+

However, strong upward trend, and last ~70hrs at my most recent institution look like this

cGPA - 3.43, sGPA - 3.39 (hopefully to be improved by graduation time)

Have taken a slightly "roundabout" path to my bachelors, which I am in my final year of. Spent three years at one school (Illinois - Urbana). Next spent a single year at CC, and now my final two years have been spent at my last school (Loyola - Chicago) where I am a Biology Major with a Biostatistics Minor.

Have spent a significant amount of time working to support myself throughout my undergrad years, about 20-25 hours per week. I will also have a semester of paid peer tutoring under my belt, in addition to time spent tutoring foreign speakers in an ESL course. Have yet to begin tutoring the ESL, but training begins soon for me.

I just began volunteering at a local hospital in the ER, will have 6-7 solid months by application time.

I am a member of Toastmasters International, a club well known for assisting members in the fine art of public speaking. Should have a certificates claiming that I am both a Competent Communicator, and a Competent Leader by the time I apply.

No organized time in a laboratory setting, but a class I am taking next semester has an independent research component.

Also I have yet to spend time shadowing, but with the upcoming break from school I plan on spending a significant amount of time with a variety of DO's and MD's from various specialties. I have had two professors agree to write strong letters of recommendation for me, which will go to the committee application process through my University.

I am concerned that despite my upward grade trend, my cumulative GPA will cause me problems. Even if I graduate with a 3.5+ (which is very likely), my cumulative will be around the same. Also, a lack of significant volunteer experience could hurt me. I have heard that having consistent part time time employment can "forgive" missing experience such as this.

Members don't see this ad.

With your current stats DO is right about at your level of competitiveness. For MD you'll need a much high mcat ( Upward trend will help, although it doesn't look like you've got a strong one), so consider going to the mcat prep section of SDN , there are plenty of tips to help get your score up higher.

cGPA - 3.2, sGPA - 3.4

However, strong upward trend, and last ~70hrs at my most recent institution look like this

Have taken a slightly "roundabout" path to my bachelors, which I am in my final year of. Spent three years at one school (Illinois - Urbana). Next spent a single year at CC, and now my final two years have been spent at my last school (Loyola - Chicago) where I am a Biology Major with a Biostatistics Minor.

Have spent a significant amount of time working to support myself throughout my undergrad years, about 20-25 hours per week. I will also have a semester of paid peer tutoring under my belt, in addition to time spent tutoring foreign speakers in an ESL course. Have yet to begin tutoring the ESL, but training begins soon for me.

I just began volunteering at a local hospital in the ER, will have 6-7 solid months by application time.

I am a member of Toastmasters International, a club well known for assisting members in the fine art of public speaking. Should have a certificates claiming that I am both a Competent Communicator, and a Competent Leader by the time I apply.

No organized time in a laboratory setting, but a class I am taking next semester has an independent research component.

Also I have yet to spend time shadowing, but with the upcoming break from school I plan on spending a significant amount of time with a variety of DO's and MD's from various specialties. I have had two professors agree to write strong letters of recommendation for me, which will go to the committee application process through my University.

I am concerned that despite my upward grade trend, my cumulative GPA will cause me problems. Even if I graduate with a 3.5+ (which is very likely), my cumulative will be around the same. Also, a lack of significant volunteer experience could hurt me. I have heard that having consistent part time time employment can "forgive" missing experience such as this.
You are competitive for DO with your current stats. Therefore, go DO; I don't think it's worth the risk retaking the MCAT since there is a chance you can get a lower score which might give a big blow to your application. Also, since your GPA is way below average for MD, you might need 34+ MCAT to have a realistic chance at MD. I think you should concentrate in making your averall application better for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have heard that having consistent part time time employment can "forgive" missing experience such as this.
To help offset the briefer time gaining clinical experience, might I suggest that you continue to gain additional hours after submission and let schools know about it periodically through the application cycle via update letter. Potential "forgiveness" gained due to work hours varies by school and can't be relied on. Besides the upcoming ESL tutoring (not sure if this is volunteer or not) do you have any other community service to mention? If not, this will be another weakness in your application you'll want to attend to through the application cycle.

cGPA - 3.2, sGPA - 3.4

This is right around what my stats were when I applied. I didn't get any MD interviews, but got a good amount of DO interviews and got accepted to a DO program. I definitely think the DO route is your best shot.

I think your ECs look fine as long as you keep them up like you plan to. My recommendation would be to shadow one DO for a prolonged period of time so he/she can write you a solid LOR.