Lower GPA and don't know if you should apply this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayemsee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been contemplating about writing this thread for the past few months. This is probably for someone who is in a situation where they don't know if they should be applying for this cycle due to lower GPA and/or lower DAT score.

I just want to get this out of my chest because I was in your shoes 2 years ago. I actually decided NOT to apply after reading many posts on SDN telling people not to apply if they have low stats AND applying too late into the cycle. The general consensus here is that if you have a lower gpa in combination with a lower DAT, you should wait till you retake your DAT then apply to have higher chances of getting in. Not saying this is wrong, it is definitely true that you can get more interviews with good stats. However, I would say, even if you have an average DAT score (~19) and an average to lower end GPA (~3.2), you should still apply. I would also go as far into saying that even if you're kinda late into the cycle (I didn't complete my applications until late September), you should still apply. I ended up receiving 2 interviews and accepted to the one that I attended as a first time applicant. Though I did have few years of experience working in a dental office as I have been working part time throughout college, I don't know if that part of my application made that big of a difference for me.

So if you're like me, having a lower GPA and a lower DAT but contemplating if you should apply, please start your application right now. If dentistry is what you truly want to do, I believe that the schools can see it from your overall application, not just your grades.

Best of luck in this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
That's motivational and all but it's initially a numbers game unless you "know" someone on the admissions. If you have low stats you still can apply but you'll have a tough time getting in.

Reactions: 1 user
That's motivational and all but it's initially a numbers game unless you "know" someone on the admissions. If you have low stats you still can apply but you'll have a tough time getting in.
I agree that having good stats do make the whole process much easier and you have higher chances with more interviews. But my point is don't lose hope and still apply if that's not the case for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that having good stats do make the whole process much easier and you have higher chances with more interviews. But my point is don't lose hope and still apply if that's not the case for you.
Congrats! Mind sharing where you got interviews?

Thanks for the little bit of hope! Applied this year with a 3.2... DAT is pending due to COVID but I have worked for 5 years at the dental school I am applying to. I know all of the faculty and those in the admission committee. Hopefully that helps a bit! I also have 800 hours of volunteering and 100 hours of shadowing outside of the dental school. (the pandemic stopped me from getting more). I am a non-traditional student and have worked the entire time I have been in college. Hopefully my application stands out.