Lower GPA but Decent DAT, Good EC + Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fabphysics8

Reaction score
GPA/sGPA: 3.28, 3.12 (sort of a downward trend, but writing about my overcoming difficulties situation in my extra essay), in class for summer quarter and fall. Also my school has a notoriously difficult grading curve (averages set to a 2.6)

DAT (AA/TS/PAT/RC/QR): 21 AA/ 20 TS/ 21 PAT/ 23 RC/ 22 QR

State of Residency: IL

Traditional (Y/N): Y

Volunteering/Shadowing hours: 220+ hours volunteering throughout undergrad, 60 Covid-Response Volunteering. Shadowing for \~200 hours for 3 general dentists at one practice, as well as "dental experience" in working and assisting for my dad's practice throughout my life.

Research: At the beginning of undergrad I was really into ecology so I worked as an amphibian researcher at an aquarium for 165 hours. I was also a part of Design for America, a research based design club, my freshman year to establish my real love for research and design. Then my interests blended and I worked in research for 2 years (600 hours) that collaborated between the materials science + oral sciences departments on biomimetic dental whitening products, and presented my research at a health innovation challenge.

Jobs: I've worked 750 or so hours in the last two years just from the 2 other non dental or research jobs listed on my application.

School list: UIC, SIU, LECOM, Midwestern AZ + Midwestern IL, ATSU AZ, Louisville, Roseman, Touro, UDM, Pacific, NYU, some others slipping my mind at the moment

Members don't see this ad.

When did you submit your app? At first glance your gpa seems low, but yes if you went to a school that notoriously keeps the average gpa low, schools will evaluate your gpa in this light. So I would worry less about your gpa numbers when applying in your case. Pacific will probably be an upward battle. If you don’t already have 14-15 schools, you might add a couple more. But even if you don’t I think you stand a good chance this cycle, focus on the schools in your state.

I’m not sure if you looked at Roseman’s website, but it specifies the importance of your last 30 science credits being calculated for your GPA on whether or not they want to invite you for an interview. Other than that, your list looks good. Just a heads up with roseman.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you submit your app? At first glance your gpa seems low, but yes if you went to a school that notoriously keeps the average gpa low, schools will evaluate your gpa in this light. So I would worry less about your gpa numbers when applying in your case. Pacific will probably be an upward battle. If you don’t already have 14-15 schools, you might add a couple more. But even if you don’t I think you stand a good chance this cycle, focus on the schools in your state.
I submitted about July 22nd! So not too late given the scope of things, hopefully that can help me out!