Lower GPA, BUT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

austinkay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the MCAT back in August 2013. 11VR/11PS/8BS, total 30.
Neurobio degree (graduated August 2013) with 3.3 cGPA (low, I know). Science GPA 3.6666

Low numbers, BUT!

I scribed and was a medical assistant for four years at an orthopaedic clinic (full-time and paid, not interned). I have 100ish hours shadowing ED docs. I get my EMT cert in May, and currently scribe at a local ED. I am working on applying for fall 2015 now.

The GPA dipped my junior year--family deaths, moving, etc.

So with the 3.3 cGPA, and only a 30 on the 2013 MCAT, how much does my real work experience and clinical exposure really help? I know the first round of applications are mainly screened based on raw numbers.

Additionally, I studied medical Spanish and taught English to orphans in Guatemala this past fall. I have had several art shows, and taught after-school science programs to elementary kids for several years.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Few questions,

How was your GPA senior year?
What have you been doing the past 6 months?
How many years did it take you to graduate undergrad? Were you full time each semester?
Are you a non-traditional applicant?

-Admissionstomedicine

To answer your questions:

Senior year was a 3.7 GPA
Past 6 months have been, chronologically: Guatemala immediately after graduating through November; moving from Texas to Indiana; EMT classes 15hrs/wk; scribing full-time at an ED in Indy
Graduated in five years (went to a school in MA for one semester, community college three semesters, three years at a state school); full-time every semester; one semester off between MA and community college
I am non-trad in the sense that I worked full-time during every semester in college (gotta pay that rent!); I am 24, so will be several years older than most first year med students.

Members don't see this ad :)
8 in biology will simply not cut it for MD programs, especially with a biology degree. I would apply in state MD (unless is California) and apply to 8 DO schools.

Average age at most schools is 24 or 25, so you'll be fine with fitting in based on age.

Not really competitive for MD schools, but fine for any DO program, including mine.

Took the MCAT back in August 2013. 11VR/11PS/8BS, total 30.
Neurobio degree (graduated August 2013) with 3.3 cGPA (low, I know). Science GPA 3.6666

Low numbers, BUT!

I scribed and was a medical assistant for four years at an orthopaedic clinic (full-time and paid, not interned). I have 100ish hours shadowing ED docs. I get my EMT cert in May, and currently scribe at a local ED. I am working on applying for fall 2015 now.

The GPA dipped my junior year--family deaths, moving, etc.

So with the 3.3 cGPA, and only a 30 on the 2013 MCAT, how much does my real work experience and clinical exposure really help? I know the first round of applications are mainly screened based on raw numbers.

Additionally, I studied medical Spanish and taught English to orphans in Guatemala this past fall. I have had several art shows, and taught after-school science programs to elementary kids for several years.