Lower GPA-chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

munchymanRX

Purveyor of Fine Nomz
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, here's my stats-they'll be pretty close to or identical to this for the upcoming app cycle.

3.3 cGPA
3.0 sGPA

30Q MCAT

breakdown:
9PS
10VR
11BS

Tons of volunteer experience, internationally and locally (hundreds of hours)
Work with the homeless: help provide free healthcare at an inner-city clinic
Extensive MD shadowing
Tons of research experience (> 3 years)
1 publication in a major journal, another possibly in the works

What do you think? Do I have a shot at any U.S. allo schools?

Edit: Cmon...someone out there must have some advice for me. I know my stats aren't particularly stellar, but what are my odds here?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say your chances are pretty low (perhaps 10% if you apply VERY broadly). If you are a minority, that increases your chances because of schools like Meharry. I would suggest you do some post-bacc work and get your GPA up if you are looking to apply to allopathic schools.

On the other hand, your application looks very competitive for osteopathic schools.

IF you decide to take the MCAT again, just do better.

Members don't see this ad :)
All good advice, IMO I would work on the grades before the MCAT though. A 30 with a good GPA will get your app looked at by quite a few schools.

yeah but he doesnt have a good GPA. on the contrary he has a bad GPA

I'm not sure there's really time to get it up too high. It's probably not going much higher than what it is now, in all honesty. Above a 3.5 would be unreachable without a postbac or something--which I can't afford atm.

What would you do in my case? (besides apply to DO schools).

I'm not sure there's really time to get it up too high. It's probably not going much higher than what it is now, in all honesty. Above a 3.5 would be unreachable without a postbac or something--which I can't afford atm.

What would you do in my case? (besides apply to DO schools).

Take your chances...with the MD....

Just as a disclaimer, I'm not one of those "oh a DO is beneath me" types that seem to frequent this site. I omitted that option in the above post because I'm already applying to DO programs.

Another two years of straight A grades going full time could get your GPA into a more competitive range, but since you mention time and expense as a factor, it would be more time and cost effective to score way higher on the MCAT. Any chance you could get in enough study time by May?

Another two years of straight A grades going full time could get your GPA into a more competitive range, but since you mention time and expense as a factor, it would be more time and cost effective to score way higher on the MCAT. Any chance you could get in enough study time by May?

It's possible. I'm studying for my second sitting in March right now, actually. I realize that it's pretty much my best shot atm. I'd rather not take it in april if I can avoid it--DO apps start in May.